Thread: G0153ANV vs. G0513X2BF - Spend the extra $500 or not?

G0153ANV vs. G0513X2BF - Spend the extra $500 or not?

So I just saw today that Grizzly has a new 17" 30th Anniversary Bandsaw in all black (SEXY!). It is basically the same as their normal G0513 & G0513P, but again. . .in a much sexier black color. To make things even more interesting, it seems to be on sale for $795 ($100 off regular price).

This would be an easy purchase for me, except that before the price drop I had my mind set on the G0513X2BF with the following improvements:

-re-saw fence
    -cast iron wheels and trunion
    -brake
    -23" vs. 17" table

But now I am wondering if I should just keep $500 in my pocket and go with the anniversary edition. I can just buy the re-saw fence later for around $100, and I have read that a few people have installed a mechanical brake on their saws, along with extension tables. It then comes down to cast iron bits that I can't easily retrofit.

Will I miss them? Or will the $500 saved (turned into a new router table, used jointer, used shaper, etc.) make sure I don't regret it??

Also, did I mention the sexy black?

You might be a bit more into woodworking than some of us if you find any band saw "sexy." Of all the things I can think of in black, the only one I find "sexy" in black is my wife.

To answer your question, if you are asking if I would rather have form over function in deciding between saws, never. Function always trumps form so buy the better built saw with the cast wheels.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 03-02-2013 at 10:38 PM.

The black is nice. I have the original G0513 (s/n in the teens), and wish it had the cast iron wheels. Can definitely live without the rest of the features of the X2BF, but my wheels do not track perfectly after 10 years or so. Upgrading to the cast iron wheels is expensive.
    Jay St. Peter

I tried to view the Anniv series on the Grizzly website but the link is not working. Compared to the G0513, I would get the X2BF model for the cast iron wheels and the ball bearing guides. I had the 0513 and I was not a fan of the euro style blade guides. They were noisy and hard to adjust. Both great saws but I would get as good as you can while you are buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Williams View Post
    I tried to view the Anniv series on the Grizzly website but the link is not working.
    You can see a black and white rendition of it here:

cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0513_m.pdf

The anniversary version is interesting, but I agree the cast iron wheels, fence, bigger table, and bearing guides make the 0513X2BF better. However, if it was me, I would go another hundred bucks and the get the 0514XF with a 3HP motor and other good features.