Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craftsman...craftsman ..Eveywhere

My '88 craftsman, dime-a-dozen though it apparently is, was made by Emerson electric, who also made a shockingly similar saw that was painted orange and badged as a Ridgid. Cast iron wings, decent-enough motor for a contractor saw, and a trunion that isn't all that difficult to align. I like it for what I do. It's no cabinet saw, but neither is the Ridgid you referenced. For comparison purposes, I got mine for a whopping $250 and probably paid twice what you could find one for (mine came from a cabinet maker and I somewhat overpaid for it in order to get a good combination deal on some other stuff I was buying from him). It could stand a decent fence and miter gauge, but I can't think of a contractor saw on the market (barring the Sawstop) that doesn't also "need" these upgrades. If you're willing to throw $1,000 at a Griz, why not spend close to that on the Unisaw you mentioned? For that price, you can get a great old saw! (though I agree, that mythical $300 unisaw is a fairy tale. I've never seen one, and I don't believe in them! )

The full size Emerson and TTI/Ryobi Craftsman contractor saws have nearly identical guts as the Ridgid 3650, which was also made by TTI/Ryobi. At one point, Emerson made the Ridgid saws too, and still owns the name. There's much lineage between those contractor saws, and many of the parts are interchangeable. Some of the Cman saws offered an upgraded fence that was fairly similar to the 3650's.....if you find one of them at the right price, there's potential to become darn near identical to the 3650. Even a saw with the old lame Emerson fence can get new life with a new fence like the Delta T2, Vega, or other. I wouldn't dismiss them based on the name plate.....same saw, different accessories.

The current R4512 is made by Dayton, and is quite a bit different. As is the former R4511, made by Steel City/Orion.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Just to add to the "don't discount all craftsman" crowd, I've got a 21833 hybrid that is very similar to some of the older Rigid saws. It's got steel wings that have never given me a lick of trouble, but they could be replaced if they bother you. Even with the steel wings, the saw weighs close to 300 lbs. And the riving knife is excellent. I payed ~$400 new a few years back, although today's price seems a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    Don't pass by all Craftsman. If you can find a model 22140 at $300 or less take a look. It is a Hybrid full cabinet saw with a Biesmeyer Commercial Fence. It was made by Orion (the predecessor to Steel City and Ridgid) and had cabinet mounted trunnions and weighs over 450 pounds. Below is a link to the Fine Woodworking Review. Pay more attention to what the "Users" said.

http://tinyurl.com/cwq578d
    I agree about the zip code saw. I owned one for 7 years and it did everything I ask it to until I sold it. It WAS a good saw when it first came out, but Sears has done what they are best at: they take a good product and cheapen it to where if you were to purchase the one in the store today you would find drastic differences from older version. They have really taken a good saw and made it an oversized boat anchor. Keep looking for a used saw with the Biesy fence system on it, not the junk they have in the store now.

If you happen to be in NH, stop in at Brentwood Machine on rt.125 off 101 (half way between Manchester and the coast). It's about a mile south of 101. They are a Rockler dealer and in their basement is a whole lot of good used machinery. They sell the used machinery on consignment and you can get good deals.

I have a Jet cabinet saw and I've been very satisfied with it. I bought it 12 years ago and never had any issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme View Post
    Saw all those Matt,,,wasn,t interested...but thanks for the leg work...
    What did you not like about these specific saws?
    The 1023 is quite well-regarded, and I would choose one over a contractor or hybrid.
    Size should be better than a contractor (you can always cut down the fence if you don't want a full 52" table)

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie LeBlanc View Post
    If you happen to be in NH, stop in at Brentwood Machine on rt.125 off 101 (half way between Manchester and the coast). It's about a mile south of 101. They are a Rockler dealer and in their basement is a whole lot of good used machinery. They sell the used machinery on consignment and you can get good deals.

I have a Jet cabinet saw and I've been very satisfied with it. I bought it 12 years ago and never had any issue with it.
    Thanks for the info Bernie..I checked out their website and they seem to have some Fair prices and Tax FREE...Heres the link...
    http://www.brentwoodmachine.com/default.asp
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    What did you not like about these specific saws?
    The 1023 is quite well-regarded, and I would choose one over a contractor or hybrid.
    Size should be better than a contractor (you can always cut down the fence if you don't want a full 52" table)

Matt
    I didnt say that I didnt like them..I said that I wasn,t interested....Im, looking for a dirt cheap saw for now until I get desperate the I will pay a little more....holding out for that gem that someone doesnt know they have

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Marc,
    I'm confused here. What exactly are you looking for? New, used, contractor, hybrid, cabinet saw? Price range?
    I'd pick up one of the cabinet saws if I were you.
    Im sorry to confuse you Matt...just trying to get some info on where to look for good deals....I would like to find something local so I can see , touch, listen and pick up myself...I really want a cabinet saw...but a hybrid or contractors would be ok....Im still just lookin...Hope that clears things up...I also like to hear everyones comments and opinions...its interesting and educational...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme View Post
    ...would be nice to find a Delta Unisaw for about 300 but good luck with that...I will keep looking for a while...... Marc
    Marc, from my experience I'd agree with the "good luck with that" sentiment on finding a $300 Unisaw, but if you are willing to go $700-$1000 or so, I think you will find many more options. My experience has been that there are more 3 phase saws on the market that single phase.

Watch for School district auctions too. I have purchased three Unisaws at auctions here in Texas when they were closing down the vocational programs in the schools ( don't get me started on the wisdom of that idea ) . I managed to upgrade my saw a little each time and made some money as well. You just have to know the value of what you are bidding on and be willing to spend the whole day there if it's a big auction.

Well here is a $400 Unisaw at that NH store posted previously close enough to $300 to consider it not sure if you are in the northeast or not?

http://www.brentwoodmachine.com/product_p/prebmt102.htm

As a former owner of a Craftsman table saw (late '70s contractor model) the terrible fence on the saw was the major problem with it. In my opinion a good fence that is easy to use, accurate and easy to keep parallel to the blade is the most important part of a table saw. With a good quality blade the saw made great cuts. Setting up an accurate cut with the fence took forever.

Having said that, I'm thrilled with my SawStop and Incra fence combination. I'm so glad that I dumped the Craftsman and bought the SawStop. The accuracy of the Incra fence is very useful.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps