Thread: New guy with ?

New guy with ?

Hi all. Im kind of new to turning and was thinking about buying a Hold fast vacuum chucking system. I did a search and at seems like it gets decent reviews. I only have a midi lathe "12.5 swing" and I was wondering what size chuck should I start out with ? The 3" or the 6". Any help would be appreciated.

Both would do you well.
    C&C WELCOME

Mike welcome to the creek. I have the holdfast system and like you said it generally does the job. I have both the 3" and 6" chuck. The smaller one don't hold as good as the larger one but there is times the 6" one won't fit. If you are doing small bowls like less than 10" you could get by with the small one but I find that I usually have to use the tailstock on the smaller one.
    Fred

Hey Mike, I have that system also. It's always worked well for me. I have both the 3" and 6" for the reason already given. There are times when I need one or the other. And I'll say this - after quite a bit of use, the rubber gaskets have fallen out of the larger one. And that was fine. I started using just a circular piece of soft rubber material that I cut out with a hole in the middle of it o secure the pieces with. Works great.

Mike, like the others, I have both chucks, though I started with the 3" and used it quite a while before getting the 6". With the smaller HFs I do, the 3" gets used more. Were I doing plates and platters, or larger bowls, I would start with the 6".

If you can spend the money now, get both - ultimately, you will want both. You might also consider ordering some extra seal to have in the event you need it. I have not replaced mine yet, though, and it has been nearly two years. I did, however, end up rolling over the sharp edges on the face of the chuck where the foam ring sits. They may have altered that design by now, as it was reported to them.

I too have it and find both sizes useful. My rubber rings also wore out. I got some sticky backed foam sheets like this http://www.michaels.com/sticky-back-...efault,pd.html and cut out a circle, cut out a small hole in the center and it works fine. Once in awhile with the original foam I would get a black ring left on the inside from the chuck. I have a roll of plastic wrap on hand and can cover the chuck with plastic wrap, punch a hole in the center, mount the bowl with the tail stock and cut off the excess wrap hanging out the sides. That solved the black ring problem.

Having said that, I'd love to have a full vacuum system. That's on the dream list. The Hold Fast got me into vacuum chucking at a reasonable price.

Dave F.

Mike - I recommend looking at JT Turning Tool's offerings before you make a purchase. Tom has great products and will treat you right. IMO, his vacuum system offers numerous advantages over the Hold Fast.

http://www.jtturningtools.com/
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll start out with the 6" chuck. And as for the vacuum system at jt turning tools. That looks real nice also. Now my heads really spinning LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    Mike - I recommend looking at JT Turning Tool's offerings before you make a purchase. Tom has great products and will treat you right. IMO, his vacuum system offers numerous advantages over the Hold Fast.
    Glen (or anyone), could you quantify some of those advantages? There's a big difference between spending $300 & $600 for a vacuum setup! What would I get for the extra three spot?

Thanks!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Steve - I was not really referring to Tom's entire system as much as I was referring to his vacuum adapter and vacuum chuck hub.

His vacuum adapter just slips into the end of the spindle and requires no rod to run the length of the spindle. This has two major advantages as I see it. First, it's quick and easy to connect/disconnect making it more likely that it get used. Secondly, as it does not require the use of a rod, it uses the entire area of the spindle interior. More cubic inches will result in more effective vacuum, no?

PVA_0.jpg

Tom's vacuum chuck hub allows one to use inexpensive PVC to make multiple chucks of varying sizes. Once one has the hub, chucks become easy and inexpensive to make.

1.25x8hubwl_0_0.jpg

Hub_4in_cup_eml.JPG

I also bought Tom's hardware kit - just for the convenience of not having to piece it all together myself. The only thing I did not get from Tom is the pump itself - which I got reconditioned at joewoodworker.com. I bought this prior to discovering Tom's offerings.
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 03-05-2013 at 9:44 AM.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Thanks, Glen. I can see now where Tom's gear has some advantages.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2