Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Box I Made for Dave's Favorite Arkansas Stone

A Box I Made for Dave's Favorite Arkansas Stone

Dave Weaver recently leant me his favorite arkansas finishing stone, a vintage yellowish translucent, so that I could try it on my straight razor and compare it to my newer Halls surgical black. Its a lovely stone, a very fine finisher that still maintains a bit of cutting ability. This ability to leave a a very fine edge while still have some cutting power is supposedly what sets the vintage Arks apart from many of the modern ones.

This lovely stone, however, didn't have a box, so yesterday when I was gluing up the base for the cabinet I'm building, I decided to forgo watching more reruns of Cheers, and, as a thank you to Dave, make a box for this lovely stone.

This is kinda a silly thread as its just a little box, but these quick little projects are always lots of fun and it came out nice so I thought I'd share. Of course, since it is for Dave, it had to be free of end grain so the box is all mitered. Also, its always fun to go a little overboard with this things so I made a bookmatched top and the fielded/raised it....total overkill for an oil stone box, but again, fun. Finish planed and coated with BLO. Hope you like it Dave.

IMG_20130303_185225_310.jpg IMG_20130303_185237_352.jpg IMG_20130303_185055_554.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 03-04-2013 at 9:45 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

That's way cool!! It looks like it's getting far better treatment there than it ever gets on my bench.

Thanks Chris!

My pleasure. Glad you like it. Its a pretty sweet stone. I see why you like it so much. It deserved a box.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 03-04-2013 at 8:18 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Nothing silly ,a handsome and practical thing. Kindly done and graciously accepted.

Thanks Mel. I must say I had a lot of fun building it. I never really get sick of building these kinds of things. Lots of quick gratification.

You are making out,David!!

Yeah, I'd say. Now I won't have to wipe all of the dust off of it.

I call that stone "magic yellowstone". It's not spectacular compared to modern abrasives, but it's a very nice oilstone and it still retains chunky marks from hand chiseling on the bottom side. Maybe I'm biased, Chris may have found it not a lot different than other finishers, but I do like that it has some personality that's missing on modern stones.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You are making out,David!!
    Not half as well as I am. Dave has sent a number of pretty nice things to play with.

Thank you for commenting George. Glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Yeah, I'd say. Now I won't have to wipe all of the dust off of it.

I call that stone "magic yellowstone". It's not spectacular compared to modern abrasives, but it's a very nice oilstone and it still retains chunky marks from hand chiseling on the bottom side. Maybe I'm biased, Chris may have found it not a lot different than other finishers, but I do like that it has some personality that's missing on modern stones.
    Its not a lot different, but I see why you like it better than the others. It is indeed very nicely worn in and maintains some cutting ability. Its hard to tell how much faster or finer it is then my halls black I've worked to wear in, but I think it is a bit finer and cuts about the same. Subtle differences. As you pointed out to me I do like how easy it is to see what the stone is doing. The ability to see the swarf and generally whats going on with the blade is probably the biggest consistent advantage translucents have over blacks. For tools I care less, but it made me want to get a translucent for my razor.

Chris, would you like to borrow my violin?
    What a wonderful and generous way to return a favor - no end grain indeed .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Chris, would you like to borrow my violin?
    Is your violin a rectangle? If so, than I might be able to make a case that does is justice

Sam ,you need to make one of those cigar box violins!

I've got 3 stones you can borrow anytime......

Nice box, and a better "thank you" gift.

Jeff
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Nice way to say thanks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice. I feel so slow when I see "quick" projects that I know would take me over 8 hours of shop time
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Sam ,you need to make one of those cigar box violins!
    Just what I need - another project , plus that would mean 2 fancy boxes from Chris . I guess I'll be happy with what I have.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge