Thread: How do you square a rose wood try square?

How do you square a rose wood try square?

I picked up a 8" try square (similar to the one shown) a while back at an estate sale. I dug it out the other day and was cleaning it up a bit and checked it for square. Well, it is out of square about 1/16". Is there a way to tweak it back square or is it par for a wooden handled square? I have 2 others that are perfectly square.

try square.jpg
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

If the blade is not loose, careful draw filing with a mill file. The outside edge will be easier than the inside.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blade is nice and tight. Hadn't thought about draw filing it, have to give it a try.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Blog Entries
    Blade is nice and tight. Hadn't thought about draw filing it, have to give it a try.
    I have had luck with this method. Do not go overboard, check the progress often.

It also helps to have a good set up to check knifed lines or very sharp pencil lines with a magnifier. My inspection loop is real handy for this kind of work.

It is similar to the one here:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/microsco...lated-products

There is a half inch scale with 0.005" divisions and hair line scales down to 0.002".

1728a.jpg

Comes in handy at times.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-04-2013 at 9:25 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim!