Thread: Porter Cable compressor problem..

Porter Cable compressor problem..

I am having a problem with a 175 PSI 80 gallon compressor that I would like to know if anyone else has had. This is an older model purchased by my father in 2005. It is porter Cable model#cplkc7080v2. There is a type 0 and 1 compressor and i'm not exactly sure which one this is as its 200 miles from me right now. I'm not sure what any differences are as all the parts have the same part number except for the motor pulley and belt. Here is my problem, The compressor runs fine until it builds up to 120ish PSI at which point the relief valve on the tube that connects the two stages of pump starts to release pressure. The pressure still climbs but much much more slowly, i'm sure it will eventually get to 175 but would take forever. I'd like to get this compressor going as i'm setting up a shop and my other compressor is only a 30 gallon.

Thanks for any help!!

Sounds like the inlet valve to the second stage is leaking. First stage builds pressure to 120 psi then second stage takes it to 175 psi. If the inlet valve to the 2nd stage leaks you have some pressure above 120 that leaks back to the inter stage relief valve and it starts to lift.

Could be a broken valve or just some crud holding it open.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Thanks for the help! That sounds like it could be the most likely cause. I'll have to pull the head and inspect the valves this weekend.

Darren