Thread: Replace arbor bearings on Delta Contractor's Saw

Question Replace arbor bearings on Delta Contractor's Saw

I have a well used Delta 34-440 contractor's saw; it has probably cut over a million bf of lumber. The original owner was a professional house builder. I am the second owner and have used it hard for the last 5 years as well. The bearings are the original. The blade wobbles +\-5/1000". I assume this is why I get some rip cut scoring even with an expensive blade. Should I change them? If so where do I get them? My dad owns a farm, so I can get help from him in changing the bearings and use his tools.

Thanks
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Try these guys:

http://www.sawcenter.com/

another good bearing source from owwm: http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93322

Good luck changing bearings.

Ruperto

I know this is an old thread. Sorry for resurrecting this one, but I need help.
    For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get off what is called the Special Nut, part # 159.The arbor flange just keeps spinning and I don't know how to get it to stop turning to get that special nut off. There doesn't seem to be a guide out there specifically for the 34-440, but I've been trying to follow this guide That particular guide is close, but it doesn't really explain how I get that special nut off.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Photo of that special nut.

I think there are two holes in the arbor flange for a pin wrench? Or a pipe wrench on the arbor flange. First step is penetrating oil on the threads. It may be a left hand thread? no idea. If there are two holes you can make a pin wrench with a piece of scrap metal and drill&tap for two SHCS at the correct spacing.
    Bill

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...nch-36554.html

Maybe a plumbing socket that you grab with a pipewrench and then reinstall the pulley so you can wrench on the pulley and the outside of the socket. Not sure of the true name of the plumbing sockets but they are hollow pipes with a hex at each end. designed to remove shower valves. They are probably too long and would have to be cut down to fit under the pulley. Or get a cheap socket and grind out the square drive hole so it fits over the arbor and use a pipe wrench on the socket.

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-soc...Fde6wAodfzMJ3g

Blog Entries
    Looks like three problems.
    1. Grabbing the nut. My delta radial arm saw had a nut mounted like this. I was getting ready to weld part of a socket to a handle when I found a special Delta wrench for it on ebay. The wrench had a part number on one of the diagrams from one of the online parts vendors, so I searched for that. Might be able to construct one from a cut up long socket and vice grip pliers
    2. Delta probably used thread lock on the nut. A few articles have mentioned that. A torch on the nut would soften it up. Probably normal threading but follow a few of the threads so you can make sure you go in the correct direction.

3. I would try to find a couple of nuts to jam on the outside so you can use a wrench on them to hold the arbor without damaging it.

Is there enough room for an offset box wrench?
    Bill