Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New woodworking machines.

New woodworking machines.

Here is a link to the latest Woodworkers Journal e-letter. This company is a metal machining company based in Manitowoc, Wis. They now have expanded to woodworking machines. I don't know anything about them other than what their web-site provides. It appears they produce their products in Wis., but maybe some of you know more about them. For those looking to support US manufactoring, this may be a company to look at. No affiliation with me, other than being my home state.

woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Articles/Baileigh_Industrial_Rolls_Out_New_Machinery_Line_9 547.aspx

Brian M.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-05-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Not all the tools they sell are made in the US. Their largest and smallest lathes, for example are made in Taiwan as are their two lower priced tablesaws. I didn't look at all of their machines but the ones I looked at that didn't specifically say "made in Taiwan" don't seem to identify where they are made. It would be nice if they were making them in Manitowoc.

No where I found says or implies they are making anything in the US. The machines look like the same machines everyone else is importing at basically the same prices. If you look them up on Google Maps, its pretty clear they don't have the room to be doing any manufacturing at their Manitowoc facility.

Compang Name: Baileigh Industrial co.,ltd
    Website http:**********
    Country

China

This is in their FAQ

Where is Baileigh Industrial products made?

They are made in our manufacturing plants all over the world. We currently have plants in USA, Portugal, Italy, Poland, England, Germany, China, and Taiwan
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

The wooworking tools they are showing in the pictures are chiwan. Grizzly and Laguna have the same tools. Offering free shipping would be nice if the prices are competitive - many grizzly tools are $99 or more to ship. Wisconsin is a heck of a lot closer to IL as well so even getting parts could be nice. Always good to have choices. PapaGriz is sure hard to beat for asian tools though. They better bring it with that support and service!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Them's not for the home woodworker. The table saw is just short of $25K.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    One of their tablesaws is but the rest are lower with consumer grade tools in the bunch.

Maybe it was in yuan/renminbi.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The table saw is just short of $25K.
    Well that's just silly. I don't care how precisely it cuts, we are talking about wood.

It's going to move after it's cut.

Their manufacturing may be in the mid-west but their warehouse and showroom is a few miles from me. They have been on my list to visit but haven't made it yet. I've bought a couple of their metal fabrication machines and they are good. They are well known particularly in car race fabrication businesses. They don't seem to do much in the wood business.

In general, they are not oriented toward any type of hobby or small business. Little that is 120-240v single phase. Lots of 460v 3 phase equipment. If you think $25k is expensive for a table saw, then you aren't their target customer or at least weren't a few years ago. They do seem to be moving downmarket since the big businesses aren't buying.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 03-05-2013 at 7:19 PM.

The only I can think of is Northfield jointers are made in USA.

Maybe they are trying to be like Stiles. they cover a large target market and source from all over the world. Dave

I see one CNC slider for $25K, prices drop steeply from there. Agreed not all the machines are for the home audience. Do we really need another vendor of the virtually the same asian imports several other vendors seem to sell with slightly different paint jobs? If you look closely most look like obsolete versions of older Italian machines or clones of some older US models. Not much interesting happening there. THey may as well be selling Yankee candles.

Peter, look at the thread about the anniversary saw. Paint evidently sells. Dave