Thread: ? About Using 1/4" Ply To Make A Box...

? About Using 1/4" Ply To Make A Box...

This may be one of those dumb questions... I want to make a simple box to fit into a shop drawer to hold some parts. I have some left over less-than-1/4" ply that I'd like to use. How would you suggest I join the edges? If there's enough surface area to do butt joints that will give me reasonable strength, I'd do it, just for simplicity sake, but I don't know if it would work. What are your suggestions?

For material that thin, I'd use a corner block so you can attach both mating surfaces to something larger. 1/4" is a bit thin a but joint.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I also thought about box joints, but worry that with this cheap ply, I could get a lot of tear out, not matter what I do...still, it might be good practice.

I use what I call "egg crate" or "beer case" joints. With careful use of clamps and a sled or miter gauge extension you can cut all of the East-West pieces at the same time and then all of the North-South parts. A base, lots of glue and a few pins or brads and you're done. If any pins sneak out just pull them after the glue sets. The material in the photos is 5.5mm Lauan underlayment.

0305131705.jpg0305131709.jpg
    Last edited by David L Morse; 03-05-2013 at 5:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Depends what you want to hold. I have used 1/16" deep rabbets, glue and clamps for small (3x3, 3x4) containers that get handled all the time and have been in use for years. Trays such as David shows I would want more than rabbets. His version distributes the load on the joints and looks to be quite strong for their size.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A good time to try out your new iBox box joint jig.