Thread: Veritas block plane decision

Veritas block plane decision

HI All, I'm looking at the Veritas block planes and wondered if I should get the low angle one or regular one? I use my block plane usually for smoothing with the grain and not as much for end grain. What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each? Thanks Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan, common wisdom says a regular angle plane handles normal smoothing tasks better than a low angle which works well on end grain, but normally not as well with figured wood where a higher pitch is preferrable. In practice, I don't really notice a difference. Since the blade bevel angle affects the cutting angle of a block plane, you can get the low angle and have two blades ground to different angles and have the best of both worlds. If you get the regular block plane you don't have that option.
    Dennis

Actually, with a 9-1/2, you can get the best of both worlds. You can back bevel the blade to get the 12 degree angle. This may be useless knowledge with the Veritas planes, because they probably have great blade support, unless you only want one block plane, & 2 blades. My brother used to swear by the Record 9-1/2, because the lever cap went closer to the mouth than any other block plane we'd seen, offering significantly more blade support. He used to keep several on hand beveled & back beveled differently. I find my low angle Stanley serves most of my needs, but I do use the 9-1/2 sometimes....don

I refer the low angle....better fot end grain...easier to use
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

"I find my low angle Stanley serves most of my needs, but I do use the 9-1/2 sometimes....don" I have a low angle Stanley now. If I just keep that what plane would you recommend that best for smoothing table tops etc. Thanks Alan

Alan, you need a larger plane for smoothing table tops--a number 4 is the most commonly used smoother--I like a 4 1/2 myself. Its a little wider and more importantly, a little heavier. I've see other planes used with good results so I think it s a little personal preference too.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    Alan, you need a larger plane for smoothing table tops--a number 4 is the most commonly used smoother--I like a 4 1/2 myself. Its a little wider and more importantly, a little heavier. I've see other planes used with good results so I think it s a little personal preference too.
    Thanks Dennis, I have one of those now if I could only tune it up. Alan

Angry

Thanks all for your help on this one. I'm not sure which way to go here.

I have a Stanley blockplane I forget the number but it is the regular angle blade. I also have the low angle LV block plane and I don't know if I have ever touched the Stanley since I got the LV. I think for general work you could do a lot worse than the low angle variety. IMHO I have used it for any smallish job that has come to hand and of course for the dreaded end grain at which it excells.