Thread: Cutting Metal

Cutting Metal

Hi All

I was thinking about adding some metal accents to the stuff I do and I was wondering what it takes to cut metal with a laser? I would be working with copper and or brass and it would be pretty thin, probably not foil thin but not much thicker either. It is possible to get trough it with several passes with my 80watt, or is something more powerful needed, or I'm I just trying to use a screwdriver for a hammer?

Thanks
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

You need much more power to cut through metal. Copper is used in very high power lasers as a mirror so you can imagine that cutting through it is not easy. You can etch bare ferrous metals and distort it a bit if it's thin, but cutting through doesn't work.

You could coat the metal pieces, laser away the coating and then chemically etch it. I've done that a few times to make PCBs.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    You need much more power to cut through metal.
    That's pretty much what I was afraid of. Do they make 'hobby' version of water jets? Or is there some other machine that doesn't cost 6 figure that can do the job?
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Langhans View Post
    That's pretty much what I was afraid of. Do they make 'hobby' version of water jets? Or is there some other machine that doesn't cost 6 figure that can do the job?
    Hi Walt,
    I priced out a Chinese water jet at around 30K. Water jets are messy and required a lot of space and electricity. You will need (3) phase to run the pumps /intensifier. I also worried about the high pressure vessels made to "not so exacting standards".

G.Weike does make a metal cutting laser which has oxygen boost. It was discussed about a month ago hear on the forum. I was the originator of the thread. Of course it still won't cut brass, only steel.

I opted to buy a G.Weike laser but chose not to go for the metal cutting option. It is being built for me right now.
    Last edited by Daniel Wolanski; 03-06-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Daniel Wolanski
    President / Mag-Knight Die Cutting

FAL-F90120S, two heads, 100W each (Lasercut 5.3)
    Copam 3050 vinyl cutter
    US Cutter MH871
    Associated Pacific Machine (APM) 30, 60 & 80 Ton Presses
    DeltaCad
    Corel X4 / X6

I wonder if something like a PCB router might work for you.
    Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Langhans View Post
    Hi All

I was thinking about adding some metal accents to the stuff I do and I was wondering what it takes to cut metal with a laser? I would be working with copper and or brass and it would be pretty thin, probably not foil thin but not much thicker either. It is possible to get trough it with several passes with my 80watt, or is something more powerful needed, or I'm I just trying to use a screwdriver for a hammer?

Thanks
    Kern Lasers has experience cutting thin metals with relatively low/medium powered co2 lasers using gas assist.

Neal
    Neal Schlee

Machines:
    ULS X2-660 120 watt SuperSpeed
    Multicam Pro 102 Dual Z CNC Router & Multicam 44 Plus Dual Z CNC Router
    Shop Built Custom CNC Machines
    Mutoh VJ 1204 Wide Format Printer
    55" Laminator
    Graphtec 54" Vinyl Cutter
    Sublimation Equipment
    Sand Blasting Equipment
    Various Woodworking Equipment

Software:
    Aspire, Enroute, Flexi Pro 10.5, CorelDraw X6 to name a few!

A small rotary engraver will do shim stock or thin plate with ease , apart from profiling (which you could do with some fair detail if you use a sharp bit) you can also engrave or burnish detail too...
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Schlee View Post
    Kern Lasers has experience cutting thin metals with relatively low/medium powered co2 lasers using gas assist.

Neal
    I'd decided not to mention our Kern machine in my reply, but since you bring it up . . .

Kern sells 150W lasers on metal cutting systems, but they use RF lasers (not glass tube) that can generate much higher peak powers to punch through the metal. A 150W RF laser is a different animal than a 150W glass tube.

You don't have to use oxygen to cut metals, but you do need a good air assist do get the melted metal out of the cut. I cut 1/8" of steel on our 400W system last week using 100 psi of compressed air. It took 2-3 seconds in one place to get the initial pierce through the sheet, and then I had to run at 0.13 in/s, but it worked.
    Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Thanks guys
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

Would a plasma cutter work?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I was pretty surprised at the cost of plasma cutters. I would of been able to purchase a machine that was over 10 times bigger than my 2 epilog 75w. And it would of cost less than the 2 epilog's put together.
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

I have one of those 6040 CNC routers. I've modified it a bit, but because it uses ball screws all around, it is a very strong and precise machine. I use it for milling circuit boards, but it also does a great job on thin brass and copper shim stock. It works great for cutting out copper head gaskets from 0.010" copper.
    Last edited by George Carlson; 03-06-2013 at 8:11 PM.