Thread: Mounted!

Mounted!

Here she is, all mounted up. This thing is as solid as the rock of Gibraltar and the way it pivots allows the rest to be positioned anywhere, even behind the chuck if necessary. Because of the constant moisture and rust problem with my tent shop, I've gotten into the habit of painting everything that does not absolutely need to be raw steel. But the tolerances on this rig are so close that one thin coat of paint prevented the post from sliding into the fixture so I had to strip the paint off the bottom part. Now that this is mounted, I'm seeing how something similar could be made but it would take 1/2" steel plate to get anywhere this stout. I literally cannot move it once it's locked down. But with the locking handles loosened, it just glides around to wherever I want it. SWEET!

Now all I have to do is get a "real" motor and a VFD and this baby is gonna hum.

vic_mark_mounted.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

That looks capable of turning whatever you want. Maybe you could thin down the paint 50/50. It really looks so good!!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Wow - that is one stout drive shaft (had to watch how I described it). I work on designing large diesel engines and that immediately reminded me of a camshaft and two bearing blocks.

Mike

good to go, let's see some chips soon

DD,
    You may want to check out these motors. Not sure if 2 hp is enough for you, depends on gear ratios, but price is sweet.

Hmm, might be my computer skills, but couldn't get the link to post. Check out Ineida dust collection, click on the product selection box on left, then click on close out products. 2 hp Leeson 3 phase motors, about $120. Good price.

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 03-06-2013 at 5:59 PM.

Reed
    I've tried everything to do with this dust collection site and can't find nothing on these motors.
    I'm in need of a new motor and would love to get one of these.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Well, maybe this will work. I tried to paste the link, and it didn't come up blue like one that is good.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.....x=9&find.y=11

If not, go to the box that says 'search our products' and click on the arrow. First sub topic is the heading shop. Last one on the list is close out items.

Maybe it will work this time.

robo hippy

I

Nice job! Looks like it is as rugged as the lathe!

10. Nice work on the tool rest and support, David........hoping you find the motor and vfd you need before long....that is going to end up being a sweet machine, for sure!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is a great price on a good quality motor. Unfortunately, it's flange mounted motor and will not work with my motor mount. I have two smaller single phase motors and there's a guy in Sacramento who wants to trade a two or three HP 3 phase motor for them. So all I need to do now is scare up the VFD...
    David DeCristoforo

Looks like a great setup David! Hope you get your motor and VFD set up soon so we can see the results in wood.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Congratulations! I wish I could "come across" something this nice.