Thread: hold downs

hold downs

do these work decently?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2026887...5#.UTey66Lrwvk

thanks for your input!
    Carpe Lignum

I can't speak to the Jorgy, but I had a pair of cast iron (like those) HFs. Broke one within a week. I can't recommend them when a superb option (the Grammercy HF) is available for only slightly more.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

The Jorgensens are not the same product as the "look-alikes" made in the East. I've been using them for several years, since we tested holdfasts for Woodworking Magazine. The Jorgensens work and won't break when you hit them like the cast pretenders do. That's assuming that Jorgensen still makes them the way they did 5 or 6 years ago. Twelve bucks well spent.

Bob Lang

I've got a cheapo cast iron holdfast made in Taiwan stamped "Woodcraft".

It's fine, after three years.
    That said, I bought a pair of the Grammercy holdfasts - I don't know that it's possible to break one by hand.

Like Zach said, they're not much more money.

I also heartily endorse the Grammercy holdfasts. I've had one pair for a year and plan to purchase a second pair for larger projects. For the price they can't be beat.

i have a pair of Grammercy holdfast also. they are rock solid and dont think i could break them. think they would punch thru my 3 1/2 inch bench top before they broke.

Joe Harris

I have a similar 8" holdfast that I got at Woodcraft several years ago. It just says Woodcraft on it. It holds well in my 1.5" dog holes but not so well in my 3" holes. My workbench apron is 3" thick and there's a row of holes along it. The main part of the bench is 1.5". I have a pair of Gramercy holdfasts and they work well in both sets of holes.

Given HD's return policy, you might get one and see how it works. Just don't ding it up. I use a rubber deadblow mallet.