Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted Maple Box

Spalted Maple Box

Spalted Maple from a tree I cut in our backyard last summer. Holly pull and button under the lid. 8 coats of WOP, Beall Buffed with REN wax on the last wheel. Roughly "4 x "4. This was just about the softest, punky-est piece I have ever turned but the plus side is it took seconds to sand. The first 3 coats of WOP it soaked up so much the next day you would not have been able to tell I put anything on it at all. But I am happy with the way it turned out. This is a Mike Stafford design of box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking box,very neat. Great wood also
    Wally

I like it, looks very nice.

Tim, pretty nice looking box and wood... Jerry (in Tucson)

Super sweet box... one of the nicer ones I have seen in this style. I only wish I could tell what color it is!
    David DeCristoforo

Beautiful box Tim! Great looking wood and I really like the form and proportions of the box, and the soft finish.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Trust me Timothy, this is a Timothy Mann box. I appreciate the attribution but the reality of it is you turned the box and did a wonderful job of it and made it yours. I own no designs because there have been many turners before me from whom I no doubt borrowed elements and incorporated into boxes I like to turn.

You have developed your own niche incorporating some of Cindy Drozda's ideas but in a different way and making them own. Your boxes to my eye are distinctively Timothy Mann boxes and you should be proud of your work. I love this box and the only complaint I have is that two of the pictures (#4 & #7) on my monitor are substantially different in color from the rest. Maybe it is just my monitor.

Punky woods can certainly be worth the effort and when done well as in your box dispel the old adage that "life is too short to turn bad wood".

Keep 'em coming. I love seeing your box work.
    Last edited by Michael Stafford; 03-07-2013 at 7:08 AM.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

super little box..and great finishing on such punky wood
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

What everybody else said. Great box, great wood. Thanks for sharing.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Timothy, another thumbs up, the style and spalting look great. I have problems getting wood to dry in that thickness and was wondering if you previously roughed out the piece?

Now that's one purrrrdy box! Nicely done
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Timothy I can only echo all the other compliments. Very nice shape with great detail and the wood makes it even more appealing. Good work!

That is one great looking box.

Thank you all for the nice comments it means a lot to me.

Mike S. thank you very much!

Hayes I didnt rough this out before hand. When I cut the tree down last summer I cut the pieces of wood into the sizes I wanted and bagged them in brown bags with shaveings to slow the drying process, even though it has only been about 5 months since the tree came down it was completely dry I assume that because it was so punky that helped it dry quicker.

Great looking box. The holly knob and button really work well with it.
    Rodney