Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coverting JPEG to DXF or DWG without looking terrible?

Coverting JPEG to DXF or DWG without looking terrible?

I need to import some logos into my machining program. The online converters to convert jpeg or PNG to DXF makes the logo almost worthless to use. There's so much distortion, it's taking me forever to clean up.

I need to convert to either DXF or DWG to use the logo. I'd like to avoid using a separate program to engrave the parts that I machine with the CNC mill.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you using a Corel Draw program? Trace ? can you attached the jpg?
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

1. Garbage in. Garbage out. If the original file lacks clarity and detail, tracing is always going to be a huge challenge.
    2. Inkscape I find to be one of the better vector tracers out there. It's not great with color logos but it does a good job with B&W.
    3. You can always spend about $10-15 and outsource the work to someone. You'll typically get a final product back in less than 24 hours.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Wow. I never even thought about outsourcing this. That would save a ton of headaches. I don't use a drawing program for anything. I draw everything in MasterCam.

What exactly should I ask for? I mean, should I ask for DWG or DXF? Any advise for the best conversion-results?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Berger View Post
    What exactly should I ask for? I mean, should I ask for DWG or DXF? Any advise for the best conversion-results?
    I would think that the normal options for trace output would be SVG (Inkscape et al), CDR (CorelDraw), or AI (Illustrator), as these are the main apps for that sort of work. And that might be a problem in itself: conversion from these formats to DXF is not an exact science, depending on what program is reading the DXF at the other end of the process. (It isn't helped at all by the number of subtly different DXF versions that have existed over the years.)

Your use of the word "distortion" in your original post is eerily reminiscent of what I fought with for months trying to get a simple CorelDraw-to-gcode workflow. Mike Simpson pointed out that exporting from CorelDraw to EPS is a lot more dependable in terms of reimporting the result in typical CAD/CAM software (Vectrix Cut2D in my case).
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Get in touch with William at Excalibur, he will take great care of you. He can provide any type of file you need.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    2. Inkscape I find to be one of the better vector tracers out there. It's not great with color logos but it does a good job with B&W.
    Seconded...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

DXF or PLT works great on my engraver. Ask for the format that will import direct into your software. out source is the best option..
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)

Thanks for all the replies folks. Is there an online graphics person that does this via email?

Try www RIPTAW com they should be able to help you.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Berger View Post
    Thanks for all the replies folks. Is there an online graphics person that does this via email?
    William Desrochers at excaliburcreations.com will work by email, in fact, I've never spoken to him it's all be email back and forth. You may find cheaper but you won't find better or more responsive.

I second William's work, promptness and prices. I've never met him either--everything by email.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Adobe illustrator cs6 has the best tracing engine I have seen. That being said, if the jpeg is low res , nothing will fix it.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-10-2013 at 7:42 AM.
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Adobe illustrator cs6 has the best tracing engine I have seen.
    Have you tried Inkscape?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5