Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt in Dust

tell the city to use either black or white beets juice then, I hope that beet juice are better on your windshield than poke berry bird dropping
    I use to see flocks of crows on the streets after a snow storm, they must been consuming the gravel and salt from the snow plows
    Last edited by ray hampton; 03-09-2013 at 5:53 PM.

Here they're using some sort of brine or something on the highways - does a better job melting I guess, but more importantly, if cars drive over it, it doesn't get thrown off the road surface the way salt does before it starts integrating. Seems like the road are a lot less dusty at the end of the season. In town they still use the rock salt type stuff, though, although in my town it's the green stuff in a lot of areas.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    I tried all kinds of oils, waxes, and sprays on my cast iron and had continual problems in a garage. The best thing turned out to be putting down cardboard over a Boeshield'd table (wax was pretty good too). I'm guess the cardboard limited air from hitting the iron and any morning dew would form on the cardboard. No oxygen, no oxidation.

TS surface is Boeshielded, gets a thorough wipe-down after use, then is covered with a waxed plywood panel. Hand tools share a cabinet with a foot-square piece of anti-rust drawer liner from LV. No rust problems even in Houston's humidity.