Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waited all day for a grizzly g1023rlw to be delivered and!!!!!

Waited all day for a grizzly g1023rlw to be delivered and!!!!!

My new saw was being delivered today and 4 hours after they said it would be here, the tractor trailer pulled up to my house at 8 pm and the driver opened the door and there she was!!!! Happiness was not the feeling, the crate looked like it was thrown off the truck and then thrown back on. The cardboard box was all ripped up and you could see inside and I saw bolts bent at the top of table and looked like the cabinet side was bent. I took pictures, politely refused the delivery and wrote on bill of laiding it was refused due to damage then called UPS and told them. Now i have to wait for morning to call Grizzly and inform them and to get another table saw on the way, what a day!! I had to share my story because this happens more than you think, last year i bought grizzly metal lathe and I went to pick it up at UPS terminal and they brought it on a forklift to my truck but when driver stopped my lathe decided to do flips in the air and land, needless to say, it was damaged! I guess there is still time to have a beer and look in the garge where i thought my saw would be tonight, I guess i can look forward to ii next week.
    Mike

Unfortunately your experience is common. I simply don't understand how the shipping companies get away with their blatant disregard for the packages entrusted to their care.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully you will get a new one in proper condition quickly.

I agree, they act as if its no big deal so let it happen to their new toy and that will make them think, for about 5 seconds, then back to not caring!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Francis View Post
    I agree, they act as if its no big deal so let it happen to their new toy and that will make them think, for about 5 seconds, then back to not caring!
    Mike
    I also agree, the shipping companies must pay-out so much in claims due to their negligence. If they were only a bit more careful...

I just recently got a 1023rlw too, I wrote a little blog post about it, but I don't think i'm allowed to link it.

The boxes were in near perfect condition and the saw was too! When i ordered it, it was back ordered for like 8 weeks! So far so good! You'll like yours i'm sure!
    Not allowed

Blog Entries
    I've had my share of problems with shippers. You really have to wonder what the heck goes on with these people. When I take a customers car apart, I don't throw the parts across the room. I bet there isn't one person on this forum that does damage like that to their customers belongings.
    An un named shipper once lost a 140lb amplifier in a 3 foot x3 foot wood crate that I shipped, they ended up paying the claim due to me being smart enough to buy insurance. About 18 months later the amp shows up from the shipper. Just gotta wonder what corner it sat in for a year or so.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

So sorry to hear this. My G1023RLX arrived in perfect condition from FedEx Freight. I was the one who dropped it. While I was walking the upper pallet off the lower one the last slat on the lower pallet broke and the saw took a dive. It landed on the tilt wheel side but only ended up with a minor dent. It did rather shift everything in the cabinet but eventually all adjustments came out OK.
    Anyway, good luck with the next one. I hope they get it to you quickly. When you finally have it all set up you will love it.

Billmini-IMG_7160.JPG
    Last edited by Bill Petersen; 03-08-2013 at 12:08 AM.

From what I hear, UPS pays their loaders according to how many boxes they can cram into a container or truck, so there's your answer for how concerned they are about getting someone's package deliverd in tact. They may have changed their policy on this, but from the sounds of it, they haven't.

In my past experiences, UPS is the worst offender of damage and I cringe every time I see them listed as the carrier on a company's web site... I then have to decide just how badly I want that item. I personally will never use them to send anything.

I can empathize with you. I impatiently waited for my new bandsaw to arrive, only to find that FedEx shipping had let it fall over in their truck, crushing the top of the saw. They had arranged to meet me the previous day, but couldn't contact me (believe me, I was available). So they just left it on the truck, upright and unsupported. By the next day of driving around, the saw was destroyed. I just couldn't comprehend how it was all that much effort for the driver to secure the box and save the company a $1K insurance claim. The box was covered with huge, red arrows and warnings against tipping. There was even a chemical doodad that showed whether the box had been laid down.

On the plus side, the manufacturer, Shop Fox, sent me a new saw that day after I told them what happened. It arrived safely the second time, with the help of a much more conscientious driver.
    Last edited by david brum; 03-08-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Sorry for your trouble. I recently received a 1023RLW and the box was perfect, shockingly so. I've received several large items recently and was expecting the worst with this saw but the boxes were immaculate and so was the saw. I love this saw!

I think it varies with each shipping company, but it does seem pretty stupid to sustain needless damage and cost to the company. Since it's certainly possible for packages to arrive undamaged, there must be some methods that work better than others.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You did well to note the damage and refuse shipping. Things would have been much more difficult if it were unloaded. I imagine if the claims were a big problem for the shipping companies they would take more responsibility. I don't understand the business / logic either.

-Brian

Sorry to hear about this! - this just really sucks but will get resolved and you did the documentation by the book so you are covered. I wonder if this is maybe different areas of the country because I have only gotten one box damaged from UPS in the last 10 years and that was ground, not freight.

I have received freight from seven different freight companies and all was in tip top shape.

Mike, I know what its like waiting for machinery, sucks that it came damaged! I've been VERY fortunate that all my machines have arrived without damage. Hopefully they can get you another one on the way asap.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.