Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New router motor - P-C 7518 or Milwaukee 5625

New router motor - P-C 7518 or Milwaukee 5625

I'm interested in getting a dedicated table mounted router motor, both the P-C 7518 and Milwaukee 5625 seem to be well liked. Anyone have any pro/cons one over the other? Price aside, the main difference seems be the P-C 7518 is a 5 speed and Milwaukee is an EVS, any advantage to EVS over 5 speed?

Hi David, I have been a P-C Man since wayy wayy back. No problems at all. The 5-speed 7518 is great if you need the slower speeds. There is also the 7519 Speedmatic from P-C, one speed only. Price-wise, I buy used and refurbish as needed. My 7518 was around $150, and 7519 around $100 at auctions.

Enjoy!
    ~~Chip~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have a 10 yr old 5625 in one of my tables. Replaced the switch last year. I'd buy another.

The 5625 also has top side height adjust. Very happy with my 5625.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The 5625 also has top side height adjust.
    I was going to say the 5625 has above table adjustability....
    Once you've used that feature, you're loathe to go back to underside adjustments.

My two table routers are a Freud 1700 w/above table capability and a Ryobi 1.75hp that doesn't have above table.
    I hate fiddling around with the Ryobi more than words can describe...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have a 5625 in a Woodpeckers lift and love it.

Only qualm I have is that I've been unable to find a 1/4" collet for it, although I'll admit I really haven't done much searching for one. I just use an adapter when the need calls for my smaller shank bits.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I have a 5625 too, and like it quite well.
    I don't bother with the above the table height adjustment, find it easier to just open the door and use the knob than to find the wrench.

Blog Entries
    I have 4 PC 7518's and I truly abuse them. I've only had to rebuild one of them after 7 years of torture. Plus, everyone makes stuff for it and everything else uses an adapter. I say go for the 7518 & call it a day.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    A couple 5625's. I've been running them for years. Zero issues. Very quiet, except when cutting ;-) The electronic feedback that maintains torque under load makes things very smooth.

This is always a predictable response question because both of these beasts have been around long enough to have a good range of long term users. Both seem equally loved.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-08-2013 at 5:43 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post

Only qualm I have is that I've been unable to find a 1/4" collet for it, although I'll admit I really haven't done much searching for one. I just use an adapter when the need calls for my smaller shank bits.
    Just stumbled across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-66-1015-M...item43b3d7318c

I bought one from Amazon for $25 or so (made in India!) which I thought was too expensive. If I didn't have it I'd get one of these:
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...68,46180,30126

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I bought one from Amazon for $25 or so (made in India!) which I thought was too expensive. If I didn't have it I'd get one of these:
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...68,46180,30126
    Last I checked the 1/4" collet wasn't available on Amazon.

I have the Whiteside equivalent of that bushing.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Good job David. Yes, collets are readily available (Tool Up, Tool barn, Acmetool, etc.) and as you can see from the pic, quite beefy compared to many others.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks to all those who posted. I'm sure I won't go wrong with either of these. I've had bad luck with used tools in the past, so I'll probably go for new. I know Woodcraft has the P-C on for $260 plus S&H and taxes ($280 delivered) and ToolUp has the Milwaukee for $288 ($278 delivered after $10 discount - Subscribe10). Now I'll have to decide if prices will get much lower or if I should pull the trigger now.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jakoby View Post
    Thanks to all those who posted. I'm sure I won't go wrong with either of these. I've had bad luck with used tools in the past, so I'll probably go for new. I know Woodcraft has the P-C on for $260 plus S&H and taxes ($280 delivered) and ToolUp has the Milwaukee for $288 ($278 delivered after $10 discount - Subscribe10). Now I'll have to decide if prices will get much lower or if I should pull the trigger now.

I bought the the 5625 about 5 years ago for that price and thought it was a great bargain then, still do for that matter. Best router I ever owned and now lives happily upside down in a PRL-V2 lift. I got it from Toolup on a sale and also bought a 1/4 " collet. I think both routers are about best in class and thse prices look great.......just pull the trigger
    Dick Mahany.