Thread: Danish oil as a pen finish?

Danish oil as a pen finish?

Hello everyone, first time contributor here so I hope I am not breaking any rules. Anywho:

Lately I've been turning out pens like a mad man, the only finish I have ever used has been the friction applied wax. I absolutely love the way it makes the wood look and feel, but I can't help but feel like the wax is going to wear off extremely fast if I give the pen to someone who will be using it on a daily basis.

On a lot of my other projects I like to use Danish Oil for a nice finish coat to seal and protect the wood. Would this also work on pens? I don't think that it would give off the same brilliant shine as the wax does,but do you think the finish would last much longer?

Just a thought, I apologize if this is a ridiculous question.

have a nice day and thanks for any help.

It would be a step up from Wax, yes. But in my opinion it will wear too fast. Pens see some pretty rough conditions if you think about it - constantly being handled by sweaty and dirty hands, being stuff into purses or pockets. i only use a CA finish on my pens because it seem to provide great durability and it quick to apply when you get the hang of it.
    Not allowed

Thanks a lot for the input, obviously I have a bunch of CA glue I just haven't tried applying it yet.. I'm scared

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Pepin View Post
    Thanks a lot for the input, obviously I have a bunch of CA glue I just haven't tried applying it yet.. I'm scared
    Is does take some getting used to. There are about 12 different method for applying it... you just have to find the one that works best for you. I use thick CA and BLO. Don't be afraid to super glue your fingers together... it will happen at least once! I've probably done is 20 times!
    Not allowed

Just my $0.02. I prefer the actual feel of a wood pen. I use the PPP wax finish, because I like the way it FEELS. It lasts about 3 days, so I finish with a top coat of shellac based friction finish, which does penetrate a little and maybe lasts a few months. But I do enjoy the feel and patina that the worn pen gives. (If you sell them, your customers may not.) I've also used wax then oils and that does work, but does take a few days to dry and then you can assemble the pen. I don't like the hard varnish finishes on pens. CA is the most durable finish I think. Good luck on your search for the perfect pen finish!

Blog Entries
    I've been making pens for about 6 years now. I don't think there is a better finish than CA glue. It is shiny, it is extremely durable and it is a quick finish. Relatively inexpensive as well.
    Have a Nice Day!

CA can't be beat for durability. You don't have to have a gloss finish...run it up to 10-12 coats, knock it down with a little 0000 steel wool and you can achieve a nice matte or semi gloss finish. Wax based finish on a pen isn't worth the effort or cost.
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 03-08-2013 at 5:49 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Friction finish is okay for slimline pens to sell cheap or give away.

CA does give a nice well protected finish that can be high gloss or satin depending on how you do it. It does have a feel that is glassy and some people don't like that.

For the softer feel, I like CA rubbed / accelerated with BLO. It has CA protecting but feels like wood, IMO. I think it's easier to do than straight CA too.

I have been making pens for about 6 or 7 years now and have always used C/A and it is a hard to beat finish. However lately i have been using WTF from General finishes. I put it on like C/A but it is a water base oil finish and you don`t have the smell and your fingers, gloves and what else don`t get glued together. Also it is water clean-up. Dries quick and you put multiple coats on just like C/A. For 8-9 months my wife has been using a stylus pen on her Nook, uses it daily and it shows no wear at all. I also think it is cheaper then C/A.
    Good luck, Carl

I also quit using CA because of the mess and the fumes. I use General Finishes WoodTurners finish like Carl. I can put 6 to 8 coats on in 40 minutes or less. My wife has a pen she carries in her purse and I have one I use everyday for over a year. They both still look great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.