Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools from Japan Stones

Tools from Japan Stones

Any financial experts out there? I may have the wrong forum here but I have watched the special set of Sigma Power Ceramics fall from $297 to $255. I am thinking on pulling the trigger for that special set but I wonder if the Yen will fall even more vs. the dollar. Any thoughts?

Wow, I knew they had dropped the Yen against the dollar but didn't realize how much. That's an insanely good deal. It might be high time I order some Japanese parers from Stu.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Short term, who knows. Long term (more than a couple of months) probably favors it going back toward a stronger yen.

Just a guess, I couldn't find much solid out there because it doesn't seem like much foreign exchange advice is targeted to a very long period of time in the future.

Now is as good of a time as any. I know stu's been busy due to the exchange rate, but I'm sure he'll gladly ship another set of stones.

Thanks! Time to get an order together. I had no idea the exchange rate had changed that much.

Steve

ahem...it is now $251.

Man...I wish I had gotten them for that!

Yeah, looks like it might get cheaper yet. I saw one article that said it would test 100 yen per dollar. That is only 5% away...another $12 bucks? Wonder if that will make shipping cheaper as well. I will likely buy sometime next week unless it looks like the Yen is free falling. I know that the Japanese government wants to drive the Yen down. Don't know how far or what the dollar will do. It is not likely that I can time this thing, so I will take the bird in hand and be happy I saved $50.

Blog Entries
    Gyrations in the currency markets are caused by many things.

Japan would benefit if their products seem cheaper overseas. This is why the different Central Banks around the world take different actions to support some currencies while dumping others. A lot of complexities and even some manipulations.

To a person in a country, buying goods made at home, there isn't much difference when the exchange rates move. If there is dependency on foreign goods in the products they buy, exchange rates start to make a difference. If the U.S. dollar drops against the Canadian dollar, then our tools from Rob Lee will see an increase in price if Mr. Lee doesn't want to eat the difference.

Google is a good source to learn more about these things. A search of > why is the yen dropping < seems to indicate this has been in the news awhile. It may be starting to have its effect of causing money to flow into Japanese products.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-09-2013 at 2:50 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I ordered a morticing gauge from Stu at the beginning of the week; if I had ordered today, due to the fluctuating exchange rate, I would have saved about $5.00 - timing can be critical. However,on the plus side, it is a pleasure to do business with Stu, so I count that as $5.00 well spent!

Maybe some of my favorite bicycle parts will be affordable again . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Maybe some of my favorite bicycle parts will be affordable again . . .
    Don't tell me Campagnolo is not made in Japan…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I think Campy is made in Italy and Romania if I remember correctly. No idea how the dollar is doing against the Euro . . . I was thinking less drive train and more some of Nitto's offerings . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Oops, my wording was incorrect. When I was a cyclist Campy and the other Italian makers were the tops. The Japanese were just getting started.

A few bad injuries and I had to drop out of the two wheeled speed game.

jtk

Ouch!!! That really hurts ( I bought mine last year and the total was north of $340).

Did any previous USA buyers have to deal with any US Customs fees, or any other fees on top of shipping cost?

no. No customs fees.