Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drum sander owners: dust collection help

My 5HP ClearVue gets damn nearly every speck of dust my Jet 22-44 Oscillating drum sander can create I'm super pleased with the Clearvue... it REALLY SUCKS!!! (In a good way)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

thanks all .i think i will go with the powermatic 1900 cfm with bag filters dont really like the plastic bags.they are not cheap.

I have a 2 HP Jet hooked up with cartridge filter and cyclone. The main run to my drum sander (and all other tools) is 6 inch metal with 4 inch drop to the tool. My 18/36 Grizzly drum sander (single drum) is fully scavenged by the dust collector.

Jim, I have a 37" double drum sander with two 4" ports. I enlarged the two ports to 6", and I have an 8" duct wye off to two 6" ducts powered by a 3 hp cyclone. It gets every bit of the dust. Going from two 4" to two 6" ports did the trick.

sam did you actually cut the top of the drum sander to install 6 inch.

The 37x2 does need more cfm than most systems can pull through 4" ports. The 25" can manage with two 4". If you spend for the full system the clearvue separates probably better than any but dust will end up in the cartridges. The good news is the nanofiber is surface loading and pretty easy to clean with compressed air.. Different than using cartridges directly on a bagger. Dave

Jim, Yes I did. I cut out the 4" ports, and installed the 6" ports. It really improved my dust collection.Delta motor, and Front door 701.jpgDelta motor, and Front door 695.jpgDelta motor, and Front door 699.jpg

I have that same Woodtek sander and have the same problem; less than stellar performance with my Delta 1.5 HP single stage DC. I tried several hook-up variations to improve dust removal with crappy results: individual hoses on each port; Y-connector; T-connector. Same outcome. I finally figured that the only improvement will come with a decent cyclone system. As soon as some funds become available.

sam my top crowns i could not do what you did no room.mike i did like you with no better results.bigger collector is the answer.

PM 1900 works great on the General International 25" dd sander. The unit has the cartridge filters and I have much less clogging since adding the alternative "vortex cones" (i.e. Julie Chen 14" wok lids from amazon, 14.95 ea.) I do use 2 4" hoses from the dd to the dc. Absolutely no chips or sawdust in the filters now.

larry what are the vortex cones.

Jim, Vortex cones are sorta like adding a upside down wok to just below your intake on a single stage DC.

I just added to my shop a 3hp cyclone due to my Woodmaster 2675 drum sander needed a lot more CFM. My old 2hp single stage DC, 110v with baffle and chimney could not pick up the fine cake flower coming off the boards. Plus constant filter cleaning was driving me crazy. I have the Drum Sander drop from the 7" main line about 6' from the intake of the cyclone, on a 6" gate with approx. 5' of 6" flex. No filter on my cyclone and now I would guess 95% of the flower is now gone from the boards as well as the belt when sanding...

does anyone have a picture of this vortex cone installed.thanks jim.