Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving a Sweet 16 lathe into a basement shop

Moving a Sweet 16 lathe into a basement shop

I have a Robust Sweet 16 standard bed lathe on order. If the stars align, I am expecting it to be shipped in the next couple of weeks. I requested that it be shipped to my house. I am expecting that the delivery company will put it on my driveway and then I will need to figure out how to get it into my basement shop.

I know there are at least a couple of Sweet 16 owners on this site. And others with even bigger lathes. Any advice on how to get this thing down into my who without doing too much damage to either the lathe or the house?

Thanks!

Bruce, I don't own one, but as I recall, Steve Schlumpf was able to disassemble his Am. Bty. to get it down in his basement. I forget what he said the headstock weighed, but as I recall, that was the mother load of the job.

Here is the thread for his "one year anniversary" and he talks some about the move.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-09-2013 at 8:52 AM.

I would assume that it will be shipped in pieces and not assembled. If so, just find a friend to help you lug it down stairs.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

One of my most handy investments into woodturning and life in general was a hand truck. Buy a good one with pneumatic tires and it will save your back when hauling that lathe to the basement. Your delivery driver will probably use one to unload it. A hand truck and a couple good straps and you can move about anything that will fit through the doors, not to mention logs too heavy to carry, blanks into the shop, moving your furniture, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    I would assume that it will be shipped in pieces and not assembled. If so, just find a friend to help you lug it down stairs.
    It's shipped assembled, but I can take off the easily removable pieces (banjo, tailstock, etc.) before moving it.

Curt - I'll look into buying a hand truck. I did look into renting one but buying probably makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bruce, I don't own one, but as I recall, Steve Schlumpf was able to disassemble his Am. Bty. to get it down in his basement. I forget what he said the headstock weighed, but as I recall, that was the mother load of the job.

Here is the thread for his "one year anniversary" and he talks some about the move.
    Thanks! That was helpful. I actually thought about driving to pick mine up, but it's just too far away.

Ditto what Curt said. A good hand truck is worth it's weight in gold.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey, if you are a bowl turner, hand truck is as essential as a chainsaw. Don't leave home without it.

Your Robust can be taken apart, but not sure about the wiring on the motor to get the headstock off. Call Brent about it. Do take measurements of widths of doorways. Getting it down inside may be as simple as calling a couple of friends, or the local high school football team.

Like said before, they are shipped fully assembled.

robo hippy

OK, help me out here... Can anyone recommend a decent hand truck? I looked at the usual websites (Amazon, HD, Lowes, HF) and it seems that all of the products they sell get mediocre reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Your Robust can be taken apart, but not sure about the wiring on the motor to get the headstock off. Call Brent about it. Do take measurements of widths of doorways.
    robo hippy
    I'm thinking the Sweet 16 headstock isn't the sliding variety of the AB. It's fixed, so other than the removable section of the bed and the tailstock, the only other things that are easily removed are the legs. May be just as easy to get four bodies to carry it down. I'd contact Brent for some advice. They set my AB up with a disconnect fitting for some of the wiring for easy reassembly when I got mine home. They do try to make your installation as easy as possible.

Jeff

Last year a turning friend bought a new Oneway. He had the same problem with basement steps. He ended up removing the tailstock, banjo and the legs. Called two men and a truck (moving company) and they sent out 4 guys once he had explained what he neeeded. 45 minutes and $400 later they had moved the lathe to the shop and helped him reinstall the legs. Sometimes it's better for us Medicare receipants to just pay for some pro help!

I bought a real nice hand truck from Menard's. It was cheaper than Home Depot although they both should have a good one with pneumatic tires, if there is one of the stores in your neck of the woods.
    I wish you luck on unloading your new lathe. When I bought my new bandsaw the truck driver wouldn't even help get it down off the truck, he would only move it to the back of the semi. I had to have friends ready to unload it. Is the delivery company going to unload it from the truck for you or do you have to get it down. Might be a good idea to check into it, if you have't already.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Thanks Tim. We don't have a Menard's in the immediate area but I think there is one a ways south of us. I'll check.

I specifically requested that the lathe be shipped in a truck with a power liftgate and dropped in the driveway, but I'll check with Robust to make sure that is going to happen. Assuming that the delivery will be on a weekday, I'll be here by myself.

Rather than a standard hand truck, consider an appliance dolly - the kind with smaller wheels and an integral strap assembly to hold thing to it. It will also have belts above the wheels to slow the descent down the stairs. Milwaukee 800 lb. Capacity Appliance Hand Truck-HDA700 at The Home Depot .

They are very sturdy, and very handy. Expect to pay about $100 for one, but well worth it in the long run. I moved (with help) a table saw, two bandsaws, and my Powermatic 3520 B (in pieces) into my basement with it. Another advantage is the much taller frame, which means you won't have to bend over as much while going down the stairs, giving you better position to resist the force of gravity.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 03-09-2013 at 1:06 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

No specific advice on how to get the lathe downstairs, but it's a good problem to have. Congrats on your new lathe.
    Rodney