Thread: have 1/8 inch walnut veneer, how do i finish?

have 1/8 inch walnut veneer, how do i finish?

Hi guys
    very simple question, i have 1/8 inch walnut veneer that i am glue to edge of coffee table.the veneer looks lifeless, I'm assuming the best thing to do is just apply a gloss poly to it? Danish oil?
    thanks
    Last edited by Eoin Ryans; 03-09-2013 at 9:56 AM.

Walnut needs some oil to make it pop. I use Watco Fruitwood and dilute it so the orange isn't so strong. The color negates a little of the purple you get in steam dried walnut. Wait a couple days before using a finsih. I don't like poly much. Prefer regular varnish like Pratt and Lambert #38. Dave

Putting finish directly on top really doesn't pop walnut very much. I recently did a coffee table top for our basement (my first breadboard end project) and experimented with wiping waterbase poly. Wiping the WB was fine, but I was less than impressed with the color. I'm watching this thread, I just bought some walnut and have some projects coming up.

I've also heard of putting garnett (or orange, can't remember) shellac on it. Also, there was a Tommy Mac show where he used some dark wax to darken it too?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Walnut needs some oil to make it pop. I use Watco Fruitwood and dilute it so the orange isn't so strong. The color negates a little of the purple you get in steam dried walnut. Wait a couple days before using a finsih. I don't like poly much. Prefer regular varnish like Pratt and Lambert #38. Dave
    Thanks for advice David

Blog Entries
    I prefer oil with no colorants for walnut. I have used some Watco Dark Walnut as a prep for sapwood sections on one piece. It was OK but, I really prefer no added color.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use amber shellac to add warmth. Steel wool or 350 sponge to rub out the nibs, followed by 3(+) wipes of varnish.

I just finished two walnut footstools.
    Used clear oil stain
    then shellac
    then pore filler
    Then Tung Oil finish.
    good stuff.

a1.jpg

Blog Entries
    A lacquer finish will bring out the grain in walnut. I use a brushing lacquer called Deft Clear Wood Finish. This table was done with Deft alone.Card Table 2.jpg The edges, legs and four large squares on the top are all walnut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute