Thread: Tool value

Tool value

An older woodworker had been passing his gear over to me as he is unable to continue his hobby. Some wood carving tools were included in the last batch. Even though he is giving me the items, I plan to give him a check to cover some of the cost.

While I look forward to trying my hand at carving, I have no idea of the value of the tools.

Any guesstimate on the value? Buck is the brand of one set, and Marples is the other. They have some slight surface rust, but appear to be serviceable. See photos.

MArples.jpgBuck.jpg
    thanks
    rick

Based on Pfeils which run approx. $30 per tool, I think a fair price would be $15 - $20 per tool.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I have a set of those marples
    they dull quickly compared to my pfiels, stubia, and greenlee
    I wood give $5-$7 apiece

buck tools are hit and miss when they were vintage ones
    newer ones were all miss

It is nice to have a set but when you need a specific tool buy higher quality steel
    and then you will notice the difference

Thanks guys!

Rick,
    The Marples are "In channel) gouges. The bevel is in side and the outside straight. They are meant for sculpting. They are not for you unless you want to sculpt big pieces. The Buck tools will not hold an edge as well as Pfeil and may not even be the shapes and sizes you need for most projects. Unless you want to be overly generous, don't spend much.
    faust