Thread: My First Attempt at Pyrography

My First Attempt at Pyrography

I purchased a pyro unit at SWAT last August but had not used it until the other day. I decided to take it out of its box and play some. This is the result.

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

4.25" tall x 3.25" wide. Maple with 6 coats of brushed on lacquer and buffed.

I would have preferred a smaller opening, but this is about as small as my current boring bar will allow. As a new turner, I am still learning the subtleties of form and am experimenting with texture. There is so much to learn, but it sure is fun. Thanks for looking.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Glen i lke it, but i can't help thinking it would look even better if you had brought the pyro all the way to the top. Now that's just me, others will be along to add there 2 cents.

Yeah, I think you're right Steve. I say that because I am applying finish to a slightly different piece in which the pyro goes all the way up. Look better indeed.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Nothing wrong with that Glen. An idea for next time maybe to run the flames to the opening. Did you draw a pattern or freehand it? What kind of burner set up are you using? All in all...very nice work!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I like it. I have a different suggestion. Instead of taking the flames to the top, I think it would look even better if you defined the line where they stop now with a groove or bead. I can critique your work, but can't duplicate it great job.
    Robust American Beauty lathe, 25” swing, electronic variable speed 80-3000 RPM
    Colt SML-350 14” midi-lathe, electronic variable speed 80-3700 RPM

'73 52" Rockwell-Delta Unisaw, 14" Variable speed Jet bandsaw, 6" Jet Jointer, 20" Dewalt scrollsaw, 15" Craftsman drill press

Tinkerer and woodturner
    1,475 mi SSW of Steve Schlumpf

Very nice Glen. I have only used mine to sign my work so far.

Nice form and great job on the flames!

There is something entertaining about burning a flame image.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

I tend to agree about the flames going up, it looks like you need to turn the piece upside down. I would suggest, if you do another, to do the the flames as negative space and the burning as the background 'smoke'. Also the burning needs to end at some detail, a bead the top, something, or fade out somehow.

While the opening is large for the piece, it's form is quite good. when it works with the form, a collar can be made to close the mouth area.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Beautiful work, Glen. Guess I'm in the minority here on flame orientation, but I think I prefer it the way it is. Gives an unusual necklace effect that comes across to me as a bit edgy.

David

Really nice work on the pyro. I also likeit as is.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.