Thread: Leopardwood vase

Leopardwood vase

This is a vase made from 169 individual pieces of leopardwood. It is part of my "I-keep-selling-this-style-as-fast-as-I-can-make-them" series! One benefit is that I am getting pretty fast at making them.

Wipe-on poly, buffed, and waxed. 11.5" tall by 8" wide and approximately 3/8" thick.

Comments and critiques are welcome. Thank you for looking.

wt1.jpg wt2.jpg wt3.jpg wt4.jpg

Really nice, and a like the 2nd and 3rd photos best that show the close-up of the wild grain.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Robert,
    This is a very nice Vase. I am partial to Leopardwood and this one is very nice. Joinery is excellent and finish looks great as well. Well Done. How fast is fast.....
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Robert.....Looks real nice proportionally and also looks like a great finish. I wanted to show you how I finish the bottoms of my pieces. It looks like you are mounting your stock with a dovetail. I usually use a glue block and then part the vessel away after shaping the foot as much as I can. (BTW....Nothing wrong with the dovetail.) A soft sanding head is then used mounted in a drill press to remove the resulting tenon, then shape and form the inside of the foot. Sometimes, if I'm careful, only a little touch-up work is necessary. I don't like to leave any clues as to exactly how I mounted the raw stock. Besides, it gives you a great place to sign your work. I then sign the work with a dental drill and rub in a bit of gilding from a gilding pen.

Manz_TQ_detail_D-(2)-copy.jpg

I like that a lot! Really fine work you've done there. Form, joints and finish look excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    "I-keep-selling-this-style-as-fast-as-I-can-make-them" series!
    Must be nice to have one of those! I would love it.
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
    Robert.....Looks real nice proportionally and also looks like a great finish. I wanted to show you how I finish the bottoms of my pieces. It looks like you are mounting your stock with a dovetail. I usually use a glue block and then part the vessel away after shaping the foot as much as I can. (BTW....Nothing wrong with the dovetail.)
    Hi Greg,

I like your suggestion about signing it with the dental drill. I have an NSK that should work great for that.

The bottom doesn't have anything to do with a dovetail. The bottom section is actually 12 pieces of wood glued together. (Yes, it does look like a solid piece of wood. ) The last thing I would want to do is try to open up a chuck inside of a segmented ring to hold the vase. The bottom ring is glued to a waste block. A rabbet is cut into the inside of the bottom ring and a disc of wood is mated to the rabbet. The disc and ring are then cut flush with each other. The second ring is placed on top of the disc, locking it into place, but allowing it to float between the rings. I got the technique from Malcom Tibbetts and use it on every piece I make. One advantage to signing the bottom your way is that I can make the disc, sand, and sign it before I even put it into the ring. That could be very helpful if I messed up signing the thing! When I part the vase off of the glue block, the bottom will already be signed and finished.
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 03-10-2013 at 8:16 PM.

Robert that is a great looking form, and I love that wood, very nice all around.

Very nice, Robert, as usual. Keep making 'em and sending the proceeds to my alma mater.
    (For those who don't know Robert, he has twin sons attending Texas A&M. Robert did not attend A&M, but his money does spend)
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    How fast is fast.....
    I can make one in a day if it is above 80 degrees in the shop, which it usually is in Texas. (The temperature helps to set the glue fast.) The first few hours are non-stop, as you can continue to make rings while the first rings dry and you can turn the vase in between glueing the rings to each other. Towards the end of the vase, you can get a lot of other stuff done while you wait for the glue to set up.

Pretty nice, Robert.... The second and third pics do bring out the detail like Brian said..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Anyone that can produce a bueatiful saw/glue/turn vase in less than a month has my admiration and envy for sure.

That is a beauty Robert. Nice wood and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

that wood sure is an eye grabber..glad they are doing well for you.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great looking vase Robert, love the wood.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.