Thread: Should I fix the cracks?

Should I fix the cracks?

I happen to have a nephew that lives about 5 minutes from Mike Cruz. We usually meet in Illinois about every Easter which means I could get some wood with no shipping. So last year when Mike was pushing Amb. Maple I contacted him about getting some and this is some of what he sent. I have had them since Easter 2012 setting in the shop. Pretty nice wood but it is cracked and some spalting in places. Tear out was a problem but got that problem taken care of to my satisfaction.

These two pieces came from the same blank. Both about 10-11 inches in diameter. Cracks are on the rim and these are on one side, other side is not as bad. So I am looking for opinions as to how to fix or just leave them the way they are. There are other cracks but no separation so my plan is to leave them alone. First two picts are one piece and the next two are the other one.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Woodwork & Turnings 012.jpg Woodwork & Turnings 015.jpg Woodwork & Turnings 009.jpgWoodwork & Turnings 011.jpg

I am reminded of my own guilt in not processing blanks before they crack.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

I'd Dremel them out a bit and fill with epoxy tinted a contrasting colour. You could do the same thing with thick CA, too.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON