Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Root holds suprise!

Walnut Root holds suprise!

One of my suppliers from Kansas told me her son was cutting up osage orange to sell for firewood.I told her I would pay to get a slab of that mailed to me.
    Well one day I found a large flat rate box on my porch full of wood only it wasn't osage.
    I cut the blank round on the band saw getting it stuck a few times in the sopping wet wood and sealed it.
    I called to thank her and told her it wasn't osage and she said no her son said I'd like this hunk of walnut root better.
    While organizing my wood pile I saw this black blank that had been sitting there since last summer.
    After drying out it was full of big cracks and bark inclusions so I put a face plate on to see what I had.
    I thought I should share it with you before it comes apart during the hollowing process.
    There sure is a mixture of color and different kinds of growth.Wish me luck...it may need duct tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

I sure hope it holds together for you. It'll be beautiful when you're done.
    Rodney

sure is a pretty piece of wood. Is all the cracking and inclusions normal for root wood?
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Hope it stays together!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I don't know Dennis,this is my first root.It sure did shrink and crack badly compaired to when it was fresh cut.

Blog Entries
    I like the starfish crack in the second pic... looks like a perfect piece for some colored resin inlay to hold it all together and add some fun to it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

My first thought was that looks too unstable burn it. Then I remembered my first root ball looked very similar and came out great. It did not appear to shrink or crack as it dried. I left the sides fairly thick as there were many sections that would have come off if I hollowed less than 1/4 inch. My daughter has the piece on her desk at work. Good luck, I am sure you are going to have a great looking piece.

Walnut root can be bueatiful. It, like most trees has some very soft light shrinky wood usually really red. A heartbreaker. Most walnuthas a SG of 55 or so but I bet the red root is like 25-30 SG. Good luck

I would either fill those cracks with epoxy and some nice color or ground stone or put it in the fireplace. Just looks too much like it will start to have pieces come flying off. Be safe.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

If you start to hollow it, please wrap it in plastic wrap or like you said duct tape. It isn't worth your copay to not do something to stave off potential projectiles.

Walnut Root Holds Suprise!

I'm not so sure about the epoxy but I filled everything but the big bark inclusion.Shot it with lacquer to show the colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The lacquer really made the color pop! I like the epoxy fill, the turquoise color is a good contrast for dark woods. I would still wrap it for hollowing just in case. Look forward to seeing the finished piece!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fagen View Post
    I'm not so sure about the epoxy but I filled everything but the big bark inclusion.Shot it with lacquer to show the colors.

As long as you're careful that is going to be a very good looking hollow form !! I personally an glad to see you glued it up !!!
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Wow that is going to be a beauty when finished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I was going to suggest that you NOT fill the cracks, but now that you've done it, I'm glad you did. Looks great.