Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is one lathe enough?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Sutherland View Post
    What I have found to be a better investment is a bunch of chucks.
    Agreed... I have several strongholds and a couple of Talons, and sometimes things stay in the chuck for a while. For example, right now I have a Maple vase in a Stronghold.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have 3 lathes. PM3520b, Powermatic 90, And the most recent addition, Delta 46-460. I won't be getting rid of any. And I am a flat woodworker. Now I think it's time to start collecting chucks. Up to 4 so far.

I keep my 18" General,Vega2600 and Jet 10-14. The General for mostly spindle work,Vega for bowl work and Jet Mini for pens and small stuff.
    More then 1 lathe is very nice but not a must have,it's more a convenience.Making HF and lid on one and doing the finial on the other.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

That depends on how many lathes your shop will hold. Lathes and turning tools must never be rationalized---bad habit. I have only 3 chucks but have probably 30+ vases/bowls on the shelf drying on glueblocks/single screws. Also I have and love a dozen steel dovetail rings which stay on bowls or glueblocks. Also a friend has made me some goods heavy faceplates. When sanding/finishing I often have 6-8 pieces in a merrygo round---easy on, easy off even while wet with finish. Yeaaa anything that makes it easier. Looking at lathe #3 now thanks to J. Keeton.

I have a DVR XP and a Jet 1220. I wouldn't part with either.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

A second lathe is also great if you want to have a friend or family member turn with you from time to time.

David

I started out with a delta midi. I used it for several years then bought a 3520A. I kept the midi thinking it would be of use at some point. I put it on the shelf and I have never used it, not even once. Night and day difference, even on the small items such as pens, turkey calls etc. I am somewhat limited on bench space so that is something to consider. The only reason I keep the midi is at some point I will give it to my son when he has a place to set it up, otherwise turn it into cash. Jared

Likewise, I had a Jet mini then bought the 1642. Put the mini on the shelf 5(?) years ago and haven't plugged it in since. But I don't intend to get rid of it, since it might be useful for demos or something. As for the bed extension for it -- that could go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    A second lathe is also great if you want to have a friend or family member turn with you from time to time.
    If I could only convince my wife to join me...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

One is never enough

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post

David
    Ditto. I have three Powermatic 90's and a Jet mini and lots of friends that like to come over to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    My $0.02. I can see the increase on my electric bill when I use my Jet 1642. So, when I turn pens and other small stoppers/finials etc, I rather use the Jet Mini. BUT there is no reason that I couldn't turn pens on the 1642. In fact, when I was teaching my son, we had them both running. Takes 10 times the electricity to run a 2 hp motor vice a 1/4 hp motor.
    I don't understand that comment. The size of your motor should have a negligible difference in the cost of running. An electric motor only draws as much current as is needed to spin. so a 1/2hp motor spinning a pen will use close to the same power as a 3hp motor spinning the same pen, not 6x. Yes it will be a little bit more as it's rotational friction is greater, but not by much.

Like a lot of y'all, I started with a 46-460 a wife was upset when I purchased it since she said I was "wasting my money on something I would need to upgrade", but at the time I did not know if I would either like turning or be able to do it.

after a year, purchased a 3520b, and thought about keeping the delta, but a neighbor was getting into woodworking so sold it. Probably would have used it, but the money is definitely better - allowed me to buy more tools!

I just got a 3520B but if I can find the space, I hope to keep my old lathe for applying finishes ( I use a lot of CA finish on pens ) and other messy tasks.

I bought a Jet 1014 when I started out, and used it for years until ToolNut had a sale on the Jet 1642 ($1600 w/free shipping), and now I could probably do without the mini if I really had to. I do use it for projects where it's just easier to have two lathes. I also use it for demos at shows or workshops, since the 1642 is just a tad difficult to move around...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain