Thread: Hypothetical shaper question

Hypothetical shaper question

There have been a few old, industrial shapers on my local craigsist. The latest piqued my interest. Mind you, I neither need nor have room for a bigger shaper. It's fun to dream big, though.

What I saw was a vintage David and Wells 3 phase shaper. A bit of research shows that it's a 1 1/4" spindle with old school 2 hp motor. Lots of cast iron. That would work. The price is so low that it would be easy to justify a phase converter. Parts seem generally available. The problem is that there isn't a miter slot. No fence either, but that's a different subject.

So, for those of you who are regular shaper users, could you live without a miter slot? My current shaper ( Jet 1.5hp) has one, and I use it for coping cuts. I know there are some sleds which register against the fence. What do you use?

I probably won't act on this particular shaper, but since these seem to come up pretty often, you never know....

That's the kind of shaper I like best.I like to make the fences and I have never used a mitre slot.Never seen an old really big shaper that had either.

I have 5 shapers. The only one that I use the miter slot on is the one setup for making coping cuts.
    For me, using a miter gauge on a shaper with a fence is a royal pain, because the fence has to set perfectly parallel to the miter slot. I just do not want to spend the time to do that.
    It works much better for me to make push blocks that ride against the fence.

My shaper doesn't have a mitre slot, it does however have a sliding table.............Rod.

I've seen these machines also, and they look pretty good to me, also. Heavier that what I want to have in my space limited area though. My guess is that you would need a really good mobile base if you wanted to roll it around.

As for the slot, coping only for me also.

Here is a big one for sale in the mid atlantic erea:

3Gc3If3N75N55K55M3d379c2981a411661e4d.jpg

One of my shapers has no miter slot, I just use another one that does for coping cabinet parts, or the sliding table for larger end grain work. Perhaps you can keep the smaller shaper set up for copes, use a big one for molding where it makes the most impact. I'm fixing to pick up an signer countermax that rides the fence for coping when the need arises, not doing lots of doors presently.

~~

Hi David, Got a pic of that shaper?? I have a 2 hp. Davis & Wells shaper with 1" spindle--but, not that large. Table is 29-1/2 x 21-1/2. It is a nice running, heavy machine. Mine IS dedicated to coping cuts, with an L.A. Weaver coping sled. But, for cutting moulding, edge profiling, or raised panels, the table slot will not be missed.
    ~~chip~~

mine
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I've seen these machines also, and they look pretty good to me, also. Heavier that what I want to have in my space limited area though. My guess is that you would need a really good mobile base if you wanted to roll it around.

As for the slot, coping only for me also.

Here is a big one for sale in the mid atlantic erea:

3Gc3If3N75N55K55M3d379c2981a411661e4d.jpg
    Those are great for patern copying as the spindles run in opposite directions.

Great for always cutting with the correct grain direction............Rod.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's a photo of the shaper in question. A search for an identical-looking shaper on OWWM photo archives came up with exactly the same shaper, described as 2 hp, 1 1/8" spindle. The guy selling this one seems to have a bunch of Navy surplus machines that he's getting rid of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah I have one shaper with a miter slot and can't say I've ever even thought about using it for anything. My big boy shapers don't have slots. I'd personally be more worried about the 2 hp motor being on the small side than having a miter slot I'd never use anyway

Oh and if you don't have one, you should make room for a shaper....invaluable machine IMHO

good luck,
    JeffD