Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drying Walnut oil on 85 cutting boards

Blog Entries

Drying Walnut oil on 85 cutting boards

I've made 85 cutting boards for my daughter's wedding. They give wedding favors now. In my day, we got a mint. Anyway, I need to finish them with walnut oil (Mahoneys). I want to know how I have to keep them while the stuff dries, soaks in or whatever.

Can I just stack them up? I sort of doubt it.
    Do I need to lean them against things all over the house?
    How about if I buy a bunch of bamboo skewers and sticker them?

ideas?

I use walnut oil from the supermarket to refresh my danish oiled stuff in the winter. When I can't open windows I don't want fumes. It dries/soaks in fast on a table top and looks good. It won't rub off on white paper after a couple hours. The bamboo skewers sound like a good idea.

chop sticks will give you a little more space between boards

Why walnut oil. With that many cutting boards there is a likelihood that at least one of the recipients would have a nut allergy. For boards that are just being given away you might consider just using mineral oil. Less than $10 in mineral oil will probably do all your cutting boards. I have stacked up to about 10 cutting boards at a time after brushing on a very heavy coat of mineral oil. I let them sit about 3 days and then just buff them off with a soft cotton cloth. You may still get a little oil seeping from the wood for another day or so but it will buff right off. If you have the time this may work for you.

Oh, 85 boards is pretty darned ambitious, eh?

Bill

+1 on skipping any nut oil unless you know the recipient isn't allergic.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I use mineral oil. Nut allergies are a big issue , even with oil. I have a neighbor that even the smell will create a reaction.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Set them in the sun for a while. UV light accelerates the cure. Both Mahoney's and Doctors walnut oils are heated to neutralize the cause of nut allergies. I wouldn't worry about allergic reaction from using their products. They are both hardening oils and should be just fine on your boards. Mineral oil never hardens and leaves a grease spot wherever it sits. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-nut-allergies
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 03-11-2013 at 5:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post

Can I just stack them up? I sort of doubt it.
    Do I need to lean them against things all over the house?
    How about if I buy a bunch of bamboo skewers and sticker them?

ideas?
    How about push pins?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Libby View Post
    I use mineral oil. Nut allergies are a big issue , even with oil. I have a neighbor that even the smell will create a reaction.
    Yeah, what Brian said. Mineral oil is fine, and is cheap, use the microwave and melt some beeswax into the oil if you want a little more protection. Obviously,do this in a microwave safe container and watch out...it is hot. I slather my boards while the concoction is warm and let them sit overnight. They buff out with paper towel to a nice sheen.

I use carpet tack strips to lay panels on for for drying oil finishes and sometimes poly finishes if I can place the contacts in a non critical spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Set them in the sun for a while. UV light accelerates the cure. Both Mahoney's and Doctors walnut oils are heated to neutralize the cause of nut allergies. I wouldn't worry about allergic reaction from using their products. They are both hardening oils and should be just fine on your boards. Mineral oil never hardens and leaves a grease spot wherever it sits. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-nut-allergies
    If walnut oil causes a reaction, does that mean you shouldn't use walnut as a cutting board wood? Hickory? Oak?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the good replies. I bought 100 pairs of chopsticks yesterday for $3 (wow) as stickers.

We will do some sort of discrete card with a little warning about the walnut oil even though I am convinced that there is no danger. I will probably just say that we used a highly processed walnut oil and if there are any health concerns, they can email me.

Both Mahoney's and Doctors walnut oils are heated to neutralize the cause of nut allergies.
    Can you quote a primary reference that verifies this assertion?

Blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Goodhew View Post
    Can you quote a primary reference that verifies this assertion?
    Post #3 in the link on my post is all I have....but it's good enough for me.

Post #3 in the link on my post is all I have....but it's good enough for me.
    Have you gotten good results with heated treated walnut oil?

Blessings.