Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A video every new turner should watch!

A video every new turner should watch!

Stumbled across this video. Thought, oh no, he's not! But yup, he does. Not just TELL you NOT to use a SPINDLE gouge on bowls, but SHOWS you WHY NOT to... If you've already guessed what's going to happen, you're right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhHeyoZLaY
    I drink, therefore I am.

Yep, you knew what was going to happen. Glad I am not the demonstrater.

Wow that was crazy even knowing what was coming. But your right every new turner should see this.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I saw that a while ago, certainly proves the point.

Like a good Aussie woodturner he did not bleed on the bowl----talent.

More like "Like a good Aussie turner, he took one for the team!" But I don't know that I give him props for doing some thing he KNEW would happen. He got lucky that that was all that happened to his finger. That could have broken the handle on hig gouge, and the broken handle or the tang from the gouge could have gone into his other hand. Or, his hand could have gone between the rest and the wood, and broken whatever got "caught"...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thank you Mike for that video. I have been wanting to turn a bowl. Why was he spinning so fast? Wouldnt you want to get the wood in balance first or more into a shape prior to increasing the speed? Up to now I have been doing spindle work just to learn the basics. Someone sent me this fantastic tail stock that I just cant get enough use out of. Hummmm?
    Last edited by Doug Morgan; 03-11-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

UGH......just UGH.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Well, it comes up again. Now, to watch it again and analyze. Did any one besides me catch where he said he tried for about 6 hours the night before and didn't get the catch? Robbo (his name on the Australian Woodworking forums) does try to turn the bowl the way most people cut with a SRG. Flutes straight up, bevel high, and lower the bevel till it starts to cut. Although it is hard to tell, he really is doing a bevel rubbing cut. When he gets the catch, again, you have to look closely, he is extended way out off the tool rest. He raised the handle, and actually comes off the bevel. This is where he has the catch. This is pretty much the exact same catch you get if you come off the bevel while using a skew chisel, but with the spinning bowl blank, the catch goes down into the work rather than along the spindle. So, the curious side of me tried the cut with my big heavy scrapers. Safety note here, at a very slow speed so if/when it caught, I could over power the lathe. It works as a controlled cut when you are rubbing the bevel. Come off the bevel by raising the handle, and lowering the cutting edge, and and you get a catch.

Interesting thing is that if you roll the SRG on its side, it cuts very nicely, and very clean, and with no tendency to dig in. If I am using one on spindles, I always roll it on the side, and approach it with the SRG at a 45 degree angle to the spindle rather than straight on. The shear angle gives a cleaner cut, and is much less prone to digging in. You can take a square blank, and cut it cleanly to a finished product if you apply the cutting edge properly to the spinning wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwlAb2BWHw8

robo hippy

Doug, I don't think the bowl was out of balance...just not round. IIRC, what he was turning was...a board. So it was flat and centered. Actually, turning faster gives you a cleaner cut. Nice of that person to send you a tailstock...

Yes, Reed, I did catch that (no pun intended). I don't so much think that the reason that you shouldn't use a spindle gouge to turn bowls isn't that you "can't" use one, rather that things can go more terribly wrong with one, rather than a bowl gouge. Not that you can't get bad catches with bowl gouges... My other understanding as to why NOT to use a spindle gouge for bowl turning is that the tang is shorter on the spindle gouges, and not really made for the forces that are produced when you get a bowl type catch...which can break the tool and cause injury. Maybe I'm wrong about that or it is an old wives' tale...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    My other understanding as to why NOT to use a spindle gouge for bowl turning is that the tang is shorter on the spindle gouges, and not really made for the forces that are produced when you get a bowl type catch...which can break the tool and cause injury. Maybe I'm wrong about that or it is an old wives' tale...
    No, they snap and it's very dangerous.

Hasn't there been a concerted effort recently to alter the name of these from the older terminology, 'roughing gouge' to 'spindle roughing gouge' (SRG as mentioned above) in an attempt to drive home the point that this is not to be used on faceplate work? Additionally, for the new turners (like me) the spindle gouge and the spindle roughing gouge are two different tools.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Mike, I say old wives' tale. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use one to rough out face plate work but if the cutting physics were right, some mfg. would be producing one with a big tang.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Mike, I say old wives' tale. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use one to rough out face plate work but if the cutting physics were right, some mfg. would be producing one with a big tang.
    I've seen broken roughing gouges and so have a lot of other people. You can break them with normal spindle turning in fact. You can't extend them over the tool rest like other tool. When you use a roughing gouge, you always have the rest right up to the work. The combination of bad geometry and extending further over the rest make it extremely likely to break a rouging gouge when doing bowl work.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 03-12-2013 at 9:48 AM.

Thanks, John...that's what I remember... One of the challenges with using the spindle roughing gouge on bowls is that you can't extend them over the tool rest like you an with bowl gouges. Thanks for clearing that up, John.
    I drink, therefore I am.