Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any experiences with "medical alert" systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    The LIFESTATION interests me because of the lockbox which can be placed outside the home, with a key in it. That way if she does need 911 service, the LIFESTATION operator can communicate the combination to the lockbox so they can get the key, and not have to break a window or something.

They charge extra ($3/month) for that, but it would seem worthwhile to me maybe.
    Yeah Phil, we purchased that option for grandpa. Like you, I thought it was a great option. I'm suprised other companies haven't added it.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

My MIL recently fell and broke her hip. She fell in her back yard around dusk, but managed to crawl or drag herself to the front drive where a neighbors teenagers just happened to see her. After replacement she wanted to return home ( stubborn 85 year old) where she lives alone. We had the concerns you have stated, along with the knowledge that her fall situation could have been disastrous had no one seen her.
    We did a little research and settled on the system by American Senior Safety agency. She has had it now for about 6 months with no problems. Her wrist worn activator was accidentally pushed about a month ago , and the company was on the phone immediately. They also WANT her to test the system at least monthly, and are very courteous as she goes from room to room checking to see if her voice can be heard. THey also have the lock box feature, which would save a broken down front door. ( that happened to my father in his later years, no lock box, firemen/ems broke door down getting in).
    In short, those monitored systems are worth every penny both in actual safety and peace of mind to those who cannot be there at all times to watch the elderly. You wont regret making that move.

Thanks William. I did go with the Lifestation, and just got back from installing/testing the unit. I would have had this done yesterday, but forgot she would need a DSL filter.

The system does seem to work well. I feel better with her having it, and she feels better, too.