Thread: Bedrock #608 replacement blade questions

Bedrock #608 replacement blade questions

As I posted in a recent thread I just acquired an old Stanley Bedrock #608. I'm now certain I will be buying a new iron and I have a few questions before ordering. I am primarily looking at LV, LN, and Hock. My first thought was to get a 2 5/8" LV pm-v11 replacement iron; however, I did not see one listed on their site. Has anyone heard or inquired as to when or if this iron may become available? My second question is in regards to iron thickness. I know that there may be a clearance issue with replacement blades which would require enlarging the mouth. Is there anything in particular I need to watch for while doing this? What other obstacles might I encounter if I purchase a thicker iron?

Thanks again!!!

I have an A2 blade and chipbreaker from LV and there are no clearance issues in my 608. I think the PM replacement blades are still a few months away. I have had no clearance issues with blades from Ron Hock in any application.

I have a Clifton and hock replacement blade and both work very well. The Clifton is thicker but does work. The only negative is a considerable amount of backlash.

Blog Entries
    My #8 Bailey has a Hock blade with no problems. If it was going to be used for hogging of some real heavy shavings, then a mouth opening might be in order.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've got 2 Bailey 8's (a C and smooth), and my replacement LV A2 blades have no clearance issues.

Actually, the only plane I had clearance issues with concerning the LV A2 blades was a #4 Bailey.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

The mouth width as they came from the factory seems to have varied some. You might want to measure and compare to any other Stanleys you might have (if any) if you're just looking for peace of mind before ordering. That said, based on my experience with putting replacement blades in Stanley planes, you shouldn't have a problem. Getting one of the the Lie-Nielsen blades for the planes they make (as opposed to their Stanley replacement blades) would probably force you to file the mouth. The regular Lie-Nielsen blades for their No. 8 are 3/16th inches thick, but their Stanley replacements are similar to Hock and LV in thickness.

The Hock blades are great and will fit your plane without a problem.

I just ordered the LV A2 blade and cap iron. I figure if I ever really have the desire for a pm-v11 iron it should be an easy swap. Incidentally, it also happened to be the least expensive option.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

I think the Lee Valley irons are a bargain when you figure how much time you save with the lapped backs - last LV blade I received, I rubbed a few times each side on 8000 grit stone and was good to go. Not having to do anything to back is very nice.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice