Thread: Escutcheon Key Hole Size

Escutcheon Key Hole Size

This is the first time I’m installing a half-mortise lock. I’ve drilled the perfect size hole for the key to fit into the lock. However, the hole of the escutcheon is somewhat larger than the actual key. Is it proper to make the key hole size to mirror the escutcheon or to make it just fit the key? This is on a period piece in case that matters. Thanks.

Don,

Unless the difference it too great, I think I'd leave the actual keyhole pretty much as you have it, maybe enlarged just a bit to make inserting the key easy. I don't think it's necessary, aesthetically, to make it precisely match the escutcheon hole, or at least a lot that I've seen in museums and elsewhere were that way.

Don,

Unless the difference it too great, I think I'd leave the actual keyhole pretty much as you have it, maybe enlarged just a bit to make inserting the key easy. I don't think it's necessary, aesthetically, to make it precisely match the escutcheon hole, or at least a lot that I've seen in museums and elsewhere were that way.