Thread: Has anyone retrofitted the blade dust hood from the G1023RL into their G0690?

Has anyone retrofitted the blade dust hood from the G1023RL into their G0690?

I have a G0690 Grizzly table saw, and even with dust collection I still getting a lot of dust collecting in the corners of the cabinet. So would it be possible to add the dust hood from the G1023RL to my saw? If not, what would be the best approach to making one myself (or should I just forget about it and just get some sort of big gulp inside the cabinet)?

Well-timed post, Dan, as I'm in a similar boat with a G5959Z. Until a recent post here about the dust shroud, I didn't realize a dust shroud was provided on the Grizzly saws. I'm curious as well if there's a retrofit option from Grizzly to achieve better dust collection inside the cabinet, other than retrofitting the inside of the cabinet with a plywood "funnel" to the dust outlet.

That is an interesting question. The 690 has the guts of the Unisaw. I tried to make a shoud for an old Uni but there was not enough room to take a hose straight out of the back. Now, my Uni was a right tilt and the newer Unisaws and the 690 are left so I don't know if the distance behind the blade changed. I have the G1023RL. I would be willing to take some measurements for you if you like. Tell me what you want to know.
    Cary

Edit to add. The 1023RL arbor moves completely vertical as you raise and lower the blade. The 690 swings in an arc.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 03-13-2013 at 4:41 PM.

I think, and I could certainly be wrong, that the trunnion on the 690 swings the blade in a slight arc as it raises and lowers whereas the 1023RL moves straight up and down. This might be a problem in being able to directly use the dust shroud from the 1023RL.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ness View Post
    I have a G0690 Grizzly table saw, and even with dust collection I still getting a lot of dust collecting in the corners of the cabinet. So would it be possible to add the dust hood from the G1023RL to my saw? If not, what would be the best approach to making one myself (or should I just forget about it and just get some sort of big gulp inside the cabinet)?
    I wouldn't worry about any dust accumulating in the corners of the base. It can't really hurt anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I wouldn't worry about any dust accumulating in the corners of the base. It can't really hurt anything there.
    Agreed. Never understood the need for a completely clean interior. Keep the dust out of the air and I'm good.
    You could always drill some holes near the corners for air to pull thru if it bothers you.

Not really an issue with the corners as much as it is with insufficient dust collection in general. . .what ends up happening is that as the dust collects it forms larger and larger piles inside the cabinet and every once in a while they clog up the hose enough to where the whole pile gets sucked into my dust collector at once. Since it is a direct system, I had a feeling that might not be good for the motor, impeller, etc.

Of course I am sure that this also has to do with only having a 1.5HP DC, and using the Rockler quick disconnect hose system (I am working a more permanent setup with piping), but I figure that any improvements inside the cabinet would help the overall system suck better.

The problem is air flow. You probably have all the openings closed, the DC doesn't get enough air to move the dust; so it builds up. If you open it up some, it will improve.

I know this is an old thread but I just did this. I bought a light use dead stock 1989 G1023 Right tilt (unisaw clone) and did the normal 33 year tuneup: arbor bearing, belts, motor bearing, brass dowels to lock the blade tilt and height. I relocated the on off switch to the left side. Then I installed a G1023RL blade shroud, or at least what was left of it. I completely removed the 2" port and installed a 4" port on the side. I had to trim much of the shrould to fit but now I have a 4" hose 1.5 inches from the blade pulling with enough enclosure to clean the gullets. I also have have a 4" port on the motor cover and a 3" shark guard. I had to cut a hole in the left side of the cabinet for room for the hose to exit and accordian at full bevel. I don't really know how to test it but even without the shark there is very little dust on top.
    IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG