Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8" jointer but very high shipping costs

1. Hi Jim,

Try calling our customer service line and see what you get back for a quote.

Plane, Barge, dogsled, and now strapped to the back of a bear, the options are endless

I am not sure if you want a lightweight aluminum jointer... might have stability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    I am not sure if you want a lightweight aluminum jointer... might have stability issues.
    The Inca units have no stability issues. They are time-tested (been in use for decades).

Another option is making one from the parts of a planer, as done here:

http://woodgears.ca/jointer/homemade.html

Sort of on my list of things to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Hi Jim,

Try calling our customer service line and see what you get back for a quote.
    Thanks Shiraz, I will do. I have ordered in the past.. got an older model 16" bandsaw and the older 1029 dust collector.. so way back then shipping wasn't too onerous. Things have changed mightily though now.

I may have to downsize my desires here.. got a lot of good ideas from this thread so need to re-evaluate. I just had to drop $3k on my old pickup to keep it running so I'm in a bit of financial shock.. but have some projects coming up so need to work something out.

cheers, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Another option is making one from the parts of a planer, as done here:

http://woodgears.ca/jointer/homemade.html

Sort of on my list of things to try.
    I have considered that home-built - that guy is inspiring. /jd

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    And a router table could be set up as a edge jointer.
    Or there's always the good ol' Bailey #7.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dory View Post

I do like to do a bit of boat building and being able to joint longer pieces would be beneficial.
    If your doing long stock sleds are wonderful. Just for the effort they save in not having to lift and push down as you feed a jointer by hand. Search here for planer sleds and "straight line" rip sleds.
    I use a cheap lunch box planer and simple light weight sleds. I have long infeed and outfeed tables on my planer and table saw so heavy long stock is easy. A decent blade on a table saw gives glue joint edges with NO chip out.

I can afford any jointer I want. But my sleds work so well I have no need for a jointer.

With your shipping situation I'd highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    If your doing long stock sleds are wonderful. Just for the effort they save in not having to lift and push down as you feed a jointer by hand. Search here for planer sleds and "straight line" rip sleds.
    I use a cheap lunch box planer and simple light weight sleds. I have long infeed and outfeed tables on my planer and table saw so heavy long stock is easy. A decent blade on a table saw gives glue joint edges with NO chip out.

I can afford any jointer I want. But my sleds work so well I have no need for a jointer.

With your shipping situation I'd highly recommend it.
    Thanks Andrew.. this has been suggested before and I have taken a look at some online sleds. I was actually doing this a bit with my little Ryobi so am familiar with the concept. Maybe I just taped shims to the workpiece and shoved it through without a sled, since I had built a table all the way through the planer trying to minimize (without success) snipe on the thing. (I've since learned from Matthias how to help minimize snipe on that unit by using roller blocks but think I should upgrade the unit to one that locks down in the corners - at least.)

Appreciate the extra data points! cheers, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    I have some Stanley planes from the seventies but not sure they're quite Bailey quality. I'll admit I could get better at using/sharpening these guys.

Thanks Andrew.. this has been suggested before and I have taken a look at some online sleds. I was actually doing this a bit with my little Ryobi so am familiar with the concept. Maybe I just taped shims to the workpiece and shoved it through without a sled, since I had built a table all the way through the planer trying to minimize (without success) snipe on the thing. (I've since learned from Matthias how to help minimize snipe on that unit by using roller blocks but think I should upgrade the unit to one that locks down in the corners - at least.)

Appreciate the extra data points! cheers, Jim
    Cool, so you have a table all the way through the planer. If this table is flat your ready to go. You can use a sled as thin as 1/8" to keep weight down. Masonite or hardboard works as a sled here because your table is flat. Just screw a stop on the end that enters the planer.

I have color coded shims of 3 taper sizes most are from 0" to 1/8". They are rough sawn on a bandsaw. The rough surface keeps them in place without hot glue or tape, this is much faster! I set the stock on the sled,hold it to the front stop and lightly slide in shims till the stock is firm. The shims don't move as it goes thru the planer.

The key to success with this method is a flat setup area level with the infeed table of your planer bed. You can't disturb the "package" of the stock shimmed firmly on the sled before it gets pulled in by the infeed roller. I grab the stock and push it tight to the sled as it comes out of the planer sliding on my outfeed table. If I need to take off more I crank up the planer 2 turns I can slide the "package" back thru without disturbing the shims. I check the shims before the second pass, but they are usually good or just need a slight shift to be firm.

I have a 9' long sled and feed tables. I use a 4' long sled too. The beauty is you can flatten planks as long as room size by yourself.

Here's more on my thoughts as I worked this out:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?134633-A-Lightweight-8-Foot-Planer-Sled

Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-16-2013 at 8:47 PM.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    Thats exactly what I was gonna recommend. Or splurge and get the Veritas Bevel Up Jointer plane with the PM-V11 blade. They are offering free shipping right now too.

I used to lust after those Inca tools from the old Garrett Wade tool catalogs. I'm keeping an eye out.
    Timing is everything. I just gave away an Inca 550 on Friday morning; it likely weighed less than 150 pounds and worked flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali LaFollett View Post
    Thats exactly what I was gonna recommend. Or splurge and get the Veritas Bevel Up Jointer plane with the PM-V11 blade. They are offering free shipping right now too.
    Thanks - will take a look. Free shipping is for you lower 48 guys though. At least they would knock off some, though they won't tell me the shipping charges until I give a credit card and place the order. Part of the price for living in paradise. Ordinarily those of us in places not served by UPS ground, and even many places in Alaska that do.. we end up subsidizing free shipping in the cost of the items - since I'm sure shipping costs are built into the price structure.

Part of the price for living in paradise...
    Awesome. Love the attitude. When I was young I really wanted to experience Alaska but then I hooked up with a woman who didn't.

The rest is history. But I still use that phrase living on Cape Cod.