Thread: Moving a 20" Rockwell Bandsaw?

Moving a 20" Rockwell Bandsaw?

Anyone have any good ideas on moving a Rockwell 20" bandsaw? I found one locally but neither the guy nor me had equipment to load it with. Don't know the weight so I'm not sure if 4 guys could carry it or not. Any suggestions?

I would build a pallet on it's back while it is standing upright, making it as wide as the space between your wheelwells, strap it on real good.

Back the saw up to the truck, screw a cross piece to the pallet that rests on top of the bumper, and use your friends to rotate the saw aroun the cross piece onto its back and into the bed.

It weighs in the vicinity of 600#. You don't want to pick it up, that's what wheels and rollers are for. If it's a good deal and you want it badly enough you should be able to figure out how to move it without too much difficulty. I bought my 20" MM bandsaw off the floor at a the end of a woodworking show. With one other person we were able to tip it on its back into the back of my truck and slide it up into the bed where i lashed it down for the long ride home. When I got it home, I was determined (stubborn) enough to slide it out of the truck and down some planks into my basement shop by myself. They can be top heavy awkward, so I found safety in doing most of the moving gently on its back. You can also remove the table to lighten the load, and protect it from damage. Good luck, daniel

Take off the table first. It will remove the temptation to grab it while moving the rest, and your trunnions won't get damaged. If you have a trailer, you can move it on pipes and up a ramp using a come-along. Have your helpers keep it steady. Or use an engine hoist to pick it up an put it in the trailer, then strap it down well. If you put it in a truck, you're better off laying it down. Putting it on the spine would be best, otherwise pick your best side by inspecting for controls, motor bulges, etc. Block it up so it's laying flat.

Kirk

Take the thing apart, remove what you can and reassemble it when the machine is in position. Sounds like a lot of trouble but that might be the only way to move heavy equipments without a forklift and a shop that allows its access. That's how I got a 18" bandsaw up 3 flights of stairs. Just removing the table, both wheels, and the motor alone is enough to make significant weight reduction that you can carry it with 4 people.

Do it yourself man! Just kidding. Get your best buddies with strong masculinity and knows how to move the beast in
    manly fashion!But I think that it's going to be heavy. My impractical advise is rent a hydraulic lift.

I reduced the weight on my bandsaw by removing the table and the two cast iron band wheels. Very easy to do.

After that rollers make it easy, along with a friend.

Lay it down in your trailer so it won't fall over on your trip.

Sounds like you found a nice saw..............Rod.

Thanks guys for the good advice. But I just found out someone is going look at it today. I couldn't ,ake it til tomorrow ( keeping my fingers crossed.

I lowered a used 18-inch Bridgewood bandsaw down our bulkhead stairs using a 12V Warn winch chained to my GMC inside bed hooks - worked slick. I thought about using the Kubota tractor but would've been rough.

I bought a used bandsaw last weekend but it was already on a mobile cart. Given it was a 14" and not a 20" so much less weight. Anyway I rented a 16' liftgate truck for $60 from Penske and rolled it on the liftgate and tied vertically to the inside of the truck. It got home and rolled right into the garage with no issue.

If you don't have the wherewithall to disassemble a saw this size, it should travel on it's "spine".

I would at least remove the motor for transit. If that gets damaged on the ride home,
    repair costs will wipe out any savings in buying a used machine.

Motors are expensive, and the mounting flanges precisely aligned.

Yup, it seems like removing the motor, table and wheels would reduce the weight a fair bit.

I carry band saws on their back (spine), with no table, blocked and strapped down.
    A short 4x4 or 3 come in real useful.

Tape the wheel covers closed.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

United Rental rents trailers that the bed drops to the ground and then you pull it back up with a hand winch. They're pretty handy if you don't have a lift. The deck is metal diamond plate so equipment slides pretty easy