Thread: My Rotex No Longer Owns Me!

My Rotex No Longer Owns Me!

When I first tried to use the Festool 5" Rotex sander I found it difficult to control and tiring to use for long periods. While the latter is still true, the former isn't. And I'm happy to say, the sander really does a great job. I can now see a future with me and my Rotex living happily ever after.

I had the same experience with my RO125 until I learned the secret to using any Festool sander is not to press down like you do on every other sander you've ever owned. My vac also had way too much suction. I learned to turn down the suction on the vac all the way and then only turn it up enough to collect the dust. I like to hold it around the front grip with one hand and lift it under the hose connection with the other. Once you get the weight of the sander balanced, you only apply enough force to move it where you want. Do not press down. Let the sander do the work.

Marc Spagnuolo has a nice video on the Festool sanders and extractors. To set the suction he recommends turning the extractor on (leaving the tool off) and placing the sander on the workpiece until the suction is not strong enough to pick up the work piece. You want of feel the sander gliding over the workpiece.

I'm glad you enjoy the purchase. I LOVE all my Festool. I have the two 'bottom of the line' sanders. The ETS-125 EQ Plus and the DTS-400 EQ Plus.

They're very nice. I really want one of the Rotex sanders. Time to start saving...
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Michael,

The Rotex 125 is a great sander from rough to finish but I still prefer the ETS 125 for fine finish work. It's a sweet little sander. They both have their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    Michael,

The Rotex 125 is a great sander from rough to finish but I still prefer the ETS 125 for fine finish work. It's a sweet little sander. They both have their place.
    It sure is. I guess I shouldn't have said 'bottom of the line'... Lol!!! You're absolutely right. Sometimes I forget that it's not suited for rough sanding. That's why I need another sander in addition to the two ROS' I have.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

The Rotex in "rotary" mode really can throw the operator around if too much pressure is used...learning to "finesse" it and allow the motion and abrasive just do their job alleviates that. In "ROS" mode, it works really well, but because it's a two-hand tool, I don't use mine for any kind of finish work. I prefer my 150/3 for that and it gets 98% of the sanding work in my shop. I wouldn't give up my Rotex, however...when it's the indicated tool...it's the bee's knees. I even used mine to sand a wide-pine floor in a small room a year ago, rather than getting involved in a floor sander rental. It did the job very well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also have the ETS 125 and it was becoming the only sander I was using. Then I found I needed something more aggressive. I had bought the Rotex first, for aggressive sanding, but quickly realized it was not the best choice for fine sanding. So once the ETS arrived, the Rotex went back in its box. But when the work dictated wither more time sanding with the ETS or becoming one with the Rotex, I took the Rotex back out of the box and learned to handle it. It didn't take that long to figure out either. I think the first time I was kind of disappointed and gave up too quickly. But after tiring of the long sanding times using the ETS, I knew I had to learn how to use the Rotex. I'm finding what a great tool it is!

Festool cost kept me away for a very long time. But I didn't know what I was missing either. I don't know how they do what they do, but the tools they make are amazing! And I love the fact there's no dust cloud around me anymore. Sanding has become almost enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
    Sanding has become almost enjoyable.
    Well I wouldn't go that far!

I don't leave mine in the box either - congrats on your new mastery .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge