Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How come no one told me? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Just a simple small hole drilled in each finger. Their website has complete instructions for the simple jig and directions.
    Here is a link to the PDF document for those interested:

http://www.leighjigs.com/download/SP...0DT%20Jigs.pdf
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You wonder why it took them so long? Of course, from their perspective it is a step backward because the big selling point and main purpose of the Leigh jigs is to make variable spaced dovetails. That is something you just can't do with the single pass set-up on the Leigh or any DT jig.

Looking at it another way, people might want to re-consider Leigh jigs because they know they can easily make evenly spaced single pass dovetails if they have a lot of drawers to finish quickly or they just want to develop mastery of the basic DT joint before moving on to variable spaced DT joints.

I bought my Leigh D4 back in the '90s to cut thru dovetails only, so any disadvantage in cutting half-blind DTs with the Leigh eludes me. It does excellent work in 3/4" stock. The template has to be flipped to do pins or tails, but no biggie.
    to me.

Half-blinds are what my Porter Cable 16" 5116 Omnijig does best--In One Pass!

~~Chip~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    You wonder why it took them so long? Of course, from their perspective it is a step backward because the big selling point and main purpose of the Leigh jigs is to make variable spaced dovetails. That is something you just can't do with the single pass set-up on the Leigh or any DT jig.

Looking at it another way, people might want to re-consider Leigh jigs because they know they can easily make evenly spaced single pass dovetails if they have a lot of drawers to finish quickly or they just want to develop mastery of the basic DT joint before moving on to variable spaced DT joints.
    Alan,
    I couldn't agree more. When you have a bunch of drawers to make all at one time, its nice to be able to cut the pins and tails at the same time and still have the ability of variable spacing.

Thanks for that reference! I'm going to have to spring for that little upgrade before the next project that uses half-blinds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is definitely a good addition to the D4, D4R Leigh jigs. Being able to machine a bunch HBDT in drawer boxes in a single pass is nice. Evenly spaced DTs are not the most attractive for fine furniture, IMO. It's worth the extra step of flipping the fingers for that unique look.
    Another option, if you can find one used, is to check out the Akeda DT jig. I have the 24 inch model, and when I need to do half blinds in drawers under 12" tall, I use both sides of the jig. Pin boards on the left and tail boards on the right. I can set up for variable spaced DTs and rout the pin and tail board at the same time.