Thread: Vacuum chuck questions

Vacuum chuck questions

So I have my new PM 3520B all setup and working great. I now want to come up with a vacuum chuck setup for it. I have been watching Craigs List for a Gast 0523 pump but I have not had any luck picking one up at a reasonable price. I do have a 5HP compressor with a 60 gallon tank that sits in my garage, away from my workshop, and I have air lines piped into the workshop. With that said, I have been looking at the Holdfast Vacuum Generator. I have read other posts on the site that suggest that the Holdfast "system" works quite well for them. Since I have never been one to conform to much of a "system", I'm wondering about using a Holdfast Vacuum Generator and mix-and-match the other pieces. Possibly use a JT's vacuum adapter and maybe make my own chucks.

Does anyone have experience or information as to this type of a setup?
    Should I just bite the bullet and get a Gast pump?
    Maybe there are better solutions that I'm not aware of?

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hopefully this will help....

Mark

There have been a few recent threads on this topic. I acquired a piston pump from a friend in my woodturning club who bought 10 off of E-bay. Then he put together a DIY package and sold them to club members but he basically used the same components from this link

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...ng-Add-On.html

with exception of an 2nd sealed bearing and a 2nd valve.

I posted my vacuum pump setup in the following thread built for about $137. Pictures didn't load on the initial post so look a few down. I made my own vacuum chucks, too. I am planning on buying JT Turning Tools vacuum adapter at SWAT this year but it was fun building my own.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ect&highlight=

I didn't post the instructions in my thread but here is the link to the ones I used. The difference being the chuck adapter steps show 1 bearing but I used 2 in a deeper hole. These also have the part list if you choose to build one.

http://www.goldentrianglewoodturners...0Chuck2008.pdf

Like I said there have been several threads with great Q & A within the last 3 weeks on SMC. Not to discount Holdfast but I built my vacuum chuck because my HoldFast stopped working and I really hated to hear my pancake compressor cycling so much (too loud). I spent more on the Holdfast setup than I did building my pump.

Chip, curious is to why you used two bearings in your DIY adapter. Seems like it would just make things harder to seal and introduce another source of leakage.

David

Here's the easy answer.....because the DIY kit I bought had 2 bearings and that's how I folks recommended it. My woodturning club has a bunch of retired engineers and they relish the thought of building their own stuff. The version JT Turning Tools makes uses 2 bearings and I suspect that was the influence.

Chip - Ahh, o.k., thanks!

David

Thanks for the info

I have the holdfast system. It works most of the time, but if there is the least leak or porous wood or seal not real good it won't build enough vacuum. I end up quite a bit of the time using it as a jam chuck using the tailstock. It helps quite often to finish the inside of the bowl and let set overnight. If I had it to do over I would go with a vacuum pump.
    Fred

As far as mix and match go, it does not matter in the slightest. Use whatever vacuum source, connector, and chuck work for you. I have always made my own chucks. I bought the holdfast for my small lathe, but when I upgraded to a larger machine I did not want to use the headstock adapter, but bought one from JT Tools that included a new handle (Jet 1642). I have been happy with it, but built a pump station when the machines were in separate buildings and I got tired of moving the holdfast. Now that everything is in one shop, I could use either, but have dedicated the holdfast to the smaller lathe.

I agree with Fred about sealing porous woods, That helps with any vacuum pump, While a high CFM pump makes it less needed, I worry about getting a working vacuum too fast. I have crushed a bowl or two where there was an unseen crack or too thin bottom. My pump is low cfm, actually lower than the Holdfast though it achieves a higher vacuum.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Chip, curious is to why you used two bearings in your DIY adapter. Seems like it would just make things harder to seal and introduce another source of leakage.
    I think the idea is that the bearings are "in series" with respect to the airflow; the unwanted escaping air has to flow through one and then through the other. There's a single path for leakage through the adapter, each bearing adds resistance.