Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Festool, here are some suggestions for improvement

Hey, Festool, here are some suggestions for improvement

I recently obtained a Festool sander (150/3) and a mini vac. I like both of them but I think there are some areas for improvement.

I would prefer if the vac hose had some sort of positive connection to the sander other than just shoving it on. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't take much for the hose to fall off the sander if it catches on the top of the workbench or even if I happen to grab it to maneuver the sander. I do know that the latter is verboten, but it just seems so natural.

As part of this set, I bought the "extra" systainer with attachments to use the vac to clean the floor. But if you want to use the systainer on the top of the vac, where do you put the very long and very heavy electrical cord? Would it be too much to ask for the cord to retract into the case? Or to design something so I could loop it around much as I do with an upright vacuum cleaner? Right now I carefully wind up the hose into the top of the vac and then pile the electrical cord on top of that. Once again, if I'm doing something wrong, let me know.

It would also be helpful if there were some sort of folding handle one could grab to roll around the vac. I can only figure out that I'm supposed to bend down (which becomes more of a pain as I age) and grab the vac by the top to roll it to where I want it. Maybe I should just tie a rope to it.

I hope someone from Festool monitors Sawmill Creek but if other users have some suggestions for me, I'd be delighted to read them.

You really should have purchased the CT26. There is a boom arm set not available on the mini or midi that will answer all 3 of your complaints. If it has been less than 30 days, you can return it for a full refund and buy a CT26. But then the boom arm set is another $375 plus another $100 for the 26. The boom arm will keep your hose off of your work piece completely, has a handle for pushing and has hooks in the back as you mentioned, to wrap the cord around.
    In addition to addressing those 3 problems, the end of the cord and hose hang at waist level. You'll never have to bend over to plug something in again. That may sound small, but it makes a difference. A luxury introduced becomes a necessity. Like automatic "up" on your car windows and electric door locks. It will take your woodworking experience to a whole other level and you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/b...nd-36/p/M0114/
    Last edited by Jim Kirkpatrick; 03-15-2013 at 2:55 PM.

The hose should stay on the sander if you have the 27mm hose. The sander connector has ribs on the outside and the hose ribs on the inside that mate for a very secure connection in my experience. I've never had an issue with the hose falling off a sander. The TS55 saw on the other hand... grr. I'm wondering if you aren't pushing it on far enough?

The cord wraps around cleats on the back of the bigger vacs and they have an available handle (and support the Boom Arm which I love.) Sounds like you would be better served by one of the bigger vacs. Are you within the 30 day return window? That said, pics show that the hose and cord should store inside the top on a mini.

Festool has their own forum call the Festool Owners Group and several dealers and someone from Festool monitor that. I've seen Shane Holland from Festool post here as well.

Edit: Ha, Jim had the same suggestions.

None of your suggestions address his suggested improvements, all of which would be a welcome additon to the mini, especially considering the cost of those vacs. Sounds like when they tell you at the fog to buy a CT26 to have a rrp (lead safe rules) hepa vac. Far as I knew, when I bought my CT22 I was buying a hepa vac!

I would think anyone buying the mini would be doing so to have a small, portable, easily carried quality vac. Suggesting he return it and buy the 26 + the crazy appendage they call a boom arm would run counter to all the reasons to buy a mini in the first place. Not too mention the added $300+

JT

True, but carrying it was one of her complaints. Yes, portability is definitely a drawback to the boom arm. One could also make their own Mini handle and add cleats to wrap the cord on the handle.

Thanks for all the comments. I do appreciate them. But suggesting that I spend another $400 to get the functionality I thought I would get with a Festool tool seems unrealistic. I thought the sander and vac were expensive enough. Also, I do not have the storage space for larger and more equipment. The mini is a great size for my needs.

I forgot to add that I would be nice to have the sander with a "flat" top to make changing sandpaper easier. Complain, compain, complain. Fortunately I will cheerfully admit that both sander and vac work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    to get the functionality I thought I would get with a Festool tool
    I guess I don't get this comment. You asked about specific things the tools clearly don't have, weren't advertised to have, and in some cases are offered on a different model??? About like buying a 2WD truck, then complaining that it doesn't have 4WD?

Like anything its a trade-off. If you want the small size and lower cost, you give up some of the features of the more expensive models. If you want a cheap tool with a bunch of extras, buy a Chinese-made one. Or return the mini, sacrifice on size, and start surfing CL for a used CT22 to save some money to put toward the handle and get the other features you want.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-15-2013 at 3:50 PM.

Not so much here, but I get tired of the Festool apologists that simply wipe away any complaint, no matter how valid as heresy... Not to suggest anyone in this thread is doing so, but I think think the OP has some good suggestions.

I wish the stupid cord wrap on my CT22 was a bit deeper to actually allow the cord to fit around it for instance. I'll either cut the cord down or extend out the wraps, but the fact remains there are quite a few obviously points on some Festool items that could've used a bit more engineering and/or real user feedback. Like vac hose connection on the domino getting in the way of gripping it, or the stupid way the para guides attach to the guide rails, or the way the TS55 vac port doesn't lock or tighten, the MFT3 guide rail front holder has +- 1/16th wiggle, etc, etc.

Most of the above things can be worked around (and are) by user technique or simple mods, but at the ever increasing prices of this stuff, it's at times surprising I'll agree with the OP on that.

You start pointing stuff like this out and folks either act as though you insulted their mother or advice you to spend more money!

Fact remains though, Festool makes the very best handheld power tools bar almost none.

JT

I own the Midi and I must admit that getting the hose and the chord stored into the space provided requires close attention to the process. It can be done, but just barely and today after 5 + years of being careful I broke off the edge of the chord keeper - the little cutout in the frame where the 2 thicknesses of chord are intended to pass through. That was always a little step that required care but it will be easier from now on . Anyway the Midi is not the Mini and so I can only guess that your storage is a "just barely" operation for sure. As for the hose falling off - that should not happen. I agree with Matt - it's never been an issue and should not be an issue.

I guess the getting old and bending down part of your problem is at least mitigated by the lesser weight of the Mini. Put a leash on it? Be thankful for the opportunity to incorporate limbering exercises as part of your work day?
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

There is no one tool, even a vacuum, that fits everyone's needs. In Festool's current vacs there are really two different series, the Mini/Midi and the CT series of full-feature vacs. The Mini/Midi sacrifices function for small size and light weight. I recently bought a Midi, which is perfect for some of my uses, which is mainly on yachts. The Mini/Midi is small enough that there is no room for added features, which would only add to the weight and make it poorer for its intended use. I do think anyone looking at a Festool Vac should be steered away from the Mini/Midi unless they understand what they are gaining and loosing by making that choice instead of a CT series vac. I bought mine from Woodcraft in Stanton, CA and they did exactly that even though I was already headed that direction.

It also is worthwhile noting that the typical shopvacs with handles do not move around very well by using the handle. They fight you every step.
    The Bosch had a handle and is better but is far from good. The newest Bosch units have dropped the handle.

To understand the hose issue, it might be best to look at the history of dust extraction. The Fein and Bosch originally had hard plastic connectors. They tended to use adapters that could come apart or twist and kink. Once they tried to kink, the suction would slam them into a kink position and the accordion on the hose would shorten pulling your tool on the work. We use the Bosch on Bosch concrete tools and they worked fine. I used Festool non-Antistatic hoses on my Feins to connect to Festool dust ports. Bosch has just redesigned their hoses and now lock into the vacuum port, like the Fein 30mm hoses, and copy the Festool tool end design that you are complaining about.

The Festool tool end works the best of all the systems that I've seen. It needs to go on 2-3 ribs onto the sanders to stay put but once on, it works very well. It adapts to ribbed round ports and ribbed oval ports. It also goes inside round smooth tool ends. The Festool large tools work OK with the 36mm Festool hose and also work well with the normal Fein and old-style Bosch hoses.

I don't understand the people that won't listen to any criticism of Festool. I think the extra heavy cord is difficult to handle even if it may be a result of the heavier wire required for our 120v circuits. It fits too tightly through the hose garage and needs to be clearanced with a rat tail file. I agree with Julian about the other complaints. We expect more when a product is that expensive.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 03-15-2013 at 4:58 PM. Reason: typos - added last paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    The Mini/Midi sacrifices function for small size and light weight. I recently bought a Midi, which is perfect for some of my uses, which is mainly on yachts. The Mini/Midi is small enough that there is no room for added features, which would only add to the weight and make it poorer for its intended use. I do think anyone looking at a Festool Vac should be steered away from the Mini/Midi unless they understand what they are gaining and loosing by making that choice instead of a CT series vac.
    Very well said, Greg!

I had a thought, but again it doesn't help you on a mini. For the larger vacs there's a hose hook. ts just a bent up piece of 1/4" rod. I had made one for mine but gave it to a friend when I get the boom arm. That was convenient for storing the hose--would imagine the same would be true of the cord, and you could have hung your tow-rope from it.

13. Ellen,

Yes, we are monitoring the forum and care about our customers' feedback. There's actually a thread or several threads at the FOG where forum members offer feedback and suggestions for improvements. I know that our headquarters in Germany monitors that.

I'm not going to post "excuses" or reasons for the design of the CT MINI/MIDI, in fact any product has room for improvements. I think the CT MINI/MIDI meet specific criteria and goals in their design which may or may not work for you. Hopefully, you had a chance to look at and maybe even test the MINI before making a purchase so that you were familiar with the features, or lack thereof. If not, Festool offers a 30-day no-hassle money back guarantee that can be used to return or exchange a power tool if it doesn't meet your expectations.

The connection should be very strong between the CT and sander if you've pushed the hose on well, as demonstrated by Marc Spagnuolo in this video at the 3:35 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ld0auvaBNo#t=3m35s

Julian, although the topic of RRP wasn't addressed by the OP and a bit off-topic... When you bought the CT 22, you did get a HEPA vacuum. When the CT 22 was introduced there were no such thing as RRP rules. So the CT 22 was never designed or tested for guidelines that didn't exist.

We are passionate about designing the world's best tools and while they aren't always perfect, they are often still far better than alternatives.

Thanks,
    Shane Holland
    Festool USA

I have, and have had, 2 Porter Cable 6" 335 ROS and a 5" 334 ROS which I wrapped a piece of duct tape around the dust chute. The 1" hose from my ShopVac fits snugly on this slightly modified dust chute. The ShopVac has wheels and can be moved around. I got all this for much less $ than the Festool. My PC sanders are all over 20 years old and still operate beautifully. I might add that for most of the years these sanders were used professionally so they all have many hours of hard use.
    Last edited by David Helm; 03-15-2013 at 7:15 PM. Reason: added info

Shane,
    Thanks for your comments. I was not bashing Festool products, just making suggestions for improvements.

I watched the video and found it interesting. No, I can't put the hose on mine and spin it around but that is not what I want to do. I still don't understand why there cannot be a more positive connection between the hose the sander. I'm just not going to invest what to me is a lot more money for yet another piece of equipment when a seemingly simple connector would work.

As I said, I do like the sander and the vac. But almost every piece of equipment can be improved upon. Even Apple makes upgrades.