Thread: cost of 3d engraving

cost of 3d engraving

Hi
    as I don’t have a cnc router yet and am trying to decide if I need one capable of doing 3d could anyone give me an idea of the length of time it would take to do a 3d engraving of 1inch square
    as I am trying to do a costing for the parts I wish to make
    I know the above is a difficult question so an estimate time will do
    thanks in advance

Engraving and carving are two different things. Engraving uses a v-bit, and is relatively inexpensive since it takes much less time. You can give a 3d look using vectors, but its not really 3d relief carving. It's similar to chip carving.

Carving 3d reliefs uses a ballnose bit in a raster cut w ten percent step over. An eighth in bit would normally need .012" step over. This takes much longer.

For one square inch though you're not talking much time unless you're doing jewelry type work, which requires a different machine.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 03-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

The time involved in doing a 3d object depends on several issues. One is the model, the second is your machine. In the machine, it depends mainly on the movement of the z axis. With a shopbot, running at 200ipm and a z set at 90 ipm (even though, because of ramping and such, the machine nor the z move alot at those settings) I normally do a 6" carving in a neg dish in around 30 minutes. That is just with a finish pass, usually no rough at that size.

Bob

It would help to know what you are making...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Hi
    I guess I should have explained a bit better(sorry about that)
    one I plan do some house signs which I expect engraving with a v bit would do the job for me
    I have also hoped to do some jewellery which I would need 3d for but if its very slow plus there would be a lot of finishing I do wonder if there is money to be made from it
    as I don’t have a cnc router yet I have been trying to get clear in my head if 3d is worth getting

Blog Entries
    At jewelry-size levels, a laser is often cheaper / faster than a jewelry-sized CNC...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi
    yes I am about to buy a laser(so that is step one sorted) but I hoped to combine it with a CNC router because the 3D looks so much better for jewelry but I am looking at the cost

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank barry View Post
    Hi
    yes I am about to buy a laser(so that is step one sorted) but I hoped to combine it with a CNC router because the 3D looks so much better for jewelry but I am looking at the cost
    I was speaking of 3D, but with the laser...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Dan
    can you do full 3D work on wood with a laser?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank barry View Post
    Hi Dan
    can you do full 3D work on wood with a laser?
    Yes, you certainly can.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I don't think you can carve with the laser like you can with a router, though. Can you?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

There are certainly some limitations to 3D work with a laser, grain being a big factor, but you can certainly do some really intricate, nice 3D work with the laser, without question. And it's going to be faster than the router in some cases.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.