Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic PM1500 vs Laguna 16HD

Powermatic PM1500 vs Laguna 16HD

I'm in the market for a new bandsaw looking for some real opinions on these two saws. I'm not interested in comments about the PM1500 if you have never seen it or never had the chance to use it. Every tool in my shop is PM, so I know what its like to spend extra money for yellow paint. Having said that, Laguna may be adding a shade of grey to my shop very soon. I picked these two saws because they are basically the same price range.

I'm wondering if anyone has some good technical opinions about the quality of the saws.

Most of my big tools are Powermatic EXCEPT for the Laguna 18" 3000 series I set up yesterday! I have seen the 1500 in person but have not used it (super nice looking). The Laguna was just a little bigger and a little less $$$. I also like that the guys at Luguna will horse trade a little and you can end up with some free blades and cheap shipping So far the 3000 looks to be perfect, easy to assemble and the Laguna guides are even better than expected. So my mustard shop has a touch of grey and I'm initially very happy with it. (PS - the Laguna Resaw King blade is just awesome, I'd suggest one for whatever saw you end up with).

Yours is a hard decision, but its what I'd call a "high-class problem."

It's hard to imagine a better guide system for the price than what Laguna supplies.

Jeff (who owns PM machinery, but has a Laguna bandsaw.)

Ha ha yes it is a "high class problem". I'm suprised to hear you say that Laguna will horse trade because I'm having the opposite experience. They want to hit me $400 to ship the saw, but i can get it shipped for $49 from woodwerks.com. The whole package I'm looking at I can basically get $300 cheaper if I don't deal directly with Laguna. Makes no sense to me really. When I asked if they could match the price their answer was simply "no".

I really just want the best saw for my money and dealing with powermatic has been less than desirable lately as well. They will not even help me find a dealer within 250 miles that sells the saw so i can go look at it. They told me to call around myself. They are doing a horrible job of showing off that saw, especially when nobody stocks their products anymore and just direct ships everything.

I have a variety of tool brands with a 20" Byrd head thickness planer being the only PM. Very nice planer. That said, the most impressive tool in my shop is the 16" HD Laguna. Get the Laguna! The saw amazes me every time I turn it on whether it is re-sawing, ripping, cutting curves, sawing small logs. I always read about drift....I use the supplied fence (you don't need the driftmaster with this saw) when re-sawing and I just don't have drift. I am always amazed at the accuracy of this saw. I use it to rip boards because it is safe and fast and accurate. The ceramic guide system on this saw is just amazing. It has power to spare. I don't see how any brand could be better. Dust is well controlled. It is also extremely smooth and vibration free! Jim

Thanks Jim. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to echo what you are saying about the 16HD and I'm not going to hear a chirp about the PM1500.

Hi Jeffrey, I have the Laguna LT18 (same as the one you're looking at just a tad bigger) and it is AMAZING. The Laguna guides are the best I've ever used and the Resaw King blade is ridiculous. I routinely resaw 10" wide mahogany for book matched panels and the saw doesn't even flinch. One or two passes through the drum sander and it's essentially done. I've cut logs from trees in front of the shop, big hard maple boards, ebony into thin stringing... Great surface finish and more than enough power for what I do. It's a pricey saw, but I'm more than thrilled with it. I have lots of different brands in the shop, but for a new bandsaw I'll never recommend anything else.

Art

What is the price of the MM16 in comparison? That is the heaviest 16", Laguna is next and weight is a pretty good indication of frame strength. PM is the lightest of the three. Dave

Hi Art. Do you have the LT18 HD or the 3000 serier. I only ask because that is another question that is playing into my decision about the saw. I'm wondering if the extra $1000 is worth the italian made HD version. My guess is yes but like I said I have nowhere to go to see any of these saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kibler View Post
    I have nowhere to go to see any of these saws.
    I have used both and would select the Laguna. I own several Powermatic tools including two Powermatic band saws. They aren't in the same league as the Laguna you mention, at least the Italian model Laguna. I wouldn't offer the same recommendation for the non-Italian model.

If you indicate an area where you live, some members who own each band saw might let you look at their saws. You're a few days late for the Powermatic sale, but it would have saved you 15%. One member here offered to sell me a used Laguna 18" a few weeks ago. He lives in the Indianapolis area. You might consider getting a used Italian saw and save yourself some money. They do pop up here and there.

Jeffrey, I have the HD. I know it's a $1,000 more but I think it's worth it. It's a 50% stronger motor and evidently a bit stiffer (25% heavier). There are a couple things the 3000 series has that the HD doesn't. The main one that I cared about was the second dust collection port near the blade throat in the table. I'm assuming it's not there only because it's an older design. I drilled some holes through the blade guard that's there anyway, riveted on a plastic dustport, and it's as good as stock. I've never regretted buying a better/more expensive tool (especially a stationary machine). It was a hard decision for me as well (it's a $1,000), but I think just having the better motor is worth it. I do a fair amount of resawing and I don't even think about it, just shove the piece through and it comes out perfect. I see people in videos being all ginger and slow, and I laugh. I can do 3-4 boards in the time some people take to do one. I run a professional shop and when we need to resaw 40+ bookmatched panels it's one hell of a time savings. Spend the money once, done. They hold their value fairly well and will last a long long time. I don't know where you are, but I'm in Utah and if you want to come check it out you're more than welcome to throw a few boards through it (we'll put you to work). Let me know if you'd like me to take some pics of the saw for you (sometimes the Laguna website pics leave something to be desired). I would also suggest that regardless of which saw you buy the Resaw King blade is worth the crazy price and is resharpenable. Let me know if you have any other specific questions...

Art

The Bulgarian saws are more of a price point saw vs the ACM just as the Felder FB saws are a lower priced alternative to their ACM machines. Still good saws but a step down compared to the ACM or Centauro sourced MM saws. Dave

Thanks again for the input Art. I'm in the Albany, NY area. I have been keeping my eyes open for a used one but I'm comfortable buying new if I have to. I take really good care of my stuff so if I buy it new I know it will last forever. If you have some pics laying around that you want to share I will gladly take them. You are making a very strong argument for the Laguna and that is what my gut was telling me.

Rich - Powermatic excluded the PM1500 from their sale. I called them and asked them why they did that, and said I would buy one on the spot if they gave me the 15% off and they said no. They also excluded the new drill press that I bought anyway. Powermatic is really starting to disappoint me. I ordered their new drill press a month ago and it hasn't shipped yet. Before I ordered it they said it would ship in 2 weeks. They now say it will be end of MAY!! So they have $1500 of mine and here I sit with no drill press becuase I sold my old one. I for the life of me can't understand why they don't update their website and offer some decent video and pictures of their products, especially when it is so difficult to find a store that sells anything anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kibler View Post
    Rich - Powermatic excluded the PM1500 from their sale. I ordered their new drill press a month ago and it hasn't shipped yet. Before I ordered it they said it would ship in 2 weeks. They now say it will be end of MAY!! I for the life of me can't understand why they don't update their website and offer some decent video and pictures of their products, especially when it is so difficult to find a store that sells anything anymore.
    Both Rockler and Woodcraft in Cincinnati have the Powermatic Drill Press and the Delta Drill Press standing side by side for comparison. I looked at them two years ago and settled on the Delta model after using both. Then an old Delta/Rockwell came up for sale locally. It wasn't even close to how the new ones are made; it's heavy duty and much better. I now have the old Rockwell in the shop and can't be happier. Lots of those old drill presses are around if you look and I guarantee you will get a much better drill press with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Both Rockler and Woodcraft in Cincinnati have the Powermatic Drill Press and the Delta Drill Press standing side by side for comparison. I looked at them two years ago and settled on the Delta model after using both. Then an old Delta/Rockwell came up for sale locally. It wasn't even close to how the new ones are made; it's heavy duty and much better. I now have the old Rockwell in the shop and can't be happier. Lots of those old drill presses are around if you look and I guarantee you will get a much better drill press with them.
    I am sure you are thinking of the Powermatic PM2800, a drill press that I bought and returned. I replaced it with a Delta 17-959.

The NEW PM2800B is a completely different drill press and does not seem to be shipping yet. It looks interesting but I'm not sure I trust Powermatic. All three new Powermatic items were either excluded from the sale or were already at an introductory price. Some vendors do actually show higher list prices, $1549 on the PM2800B, which is available for $1399.