Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new lathe is home!

Alls I can say is WOW! I wouldn't have room for any other tool but that if it was in my garage. Can't wait to see a really large chunck of un even off ballanced wood on that because it sure looks like it can take the weight. Congrates.
    Darren in Oshawa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Okay, then. At 3 hp, it isn't overbearingly huge. And good info (I guess) on not using the a VFD with an old 3 ph motor. If it is a bad idea, don't do it! Again, my suggestion for using the VFD was that I was assuming that you had a huge motor on there. You'll likely be fine without it, and just using the belts and transmission. My guess is that you might settle into one belt speed and keep it there 95% of the time...

You know, you could always change out the motor with a new(er) 3 hp motor and VFD. My local motor shop sells used Baldor 2 and 3 hp three phase motors for $100 each. A TECO FM50 VFD for 3 hp is about $200. So, for $300 you could have a new(er) motor and VFD. Not sure what the cost of your 5hp rotary phase converter is going to cost, but it is something to think about... If you go the VFD route, you will likely want a potentiometer, fwd/rev switch (the VFD will allow you to do that... not sure if you have that now or not), and maybe an emergency stop button. All those with a box to put them in might run about another $100. Just food for thought...
    I was looking at that just now as I was cleaning up the bed ways. The transmission and motor casting are all in one so it might be difficult to do that. Although if I ever find a manual or take the thing apart I would know for sure.

I think you are right about finding one pulley size then using the shifter to change speed. I also should be able to have a reverse switch as it is only a matter of reversing two wire going to the motor.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Good to know James. Is your transmission and motor casting all one unit? That is the problem I have. I would really like to put a modern 5hp and VFD on it, but I also think it is cool to clung that shifter into 2nd gear!

Mine does not have a transmission. Just the motor to the countershaft and then the 4 steps on it.

You Sir, are a crazy man. It's a good thing that I like crazy people. That is a whole bunch of iron.
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

Thanks Gene. I try!

Darren, why WOULD you need any other piece of equipment?!?!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I can't imagine I would Mike..... except for a 26ish inch iron bandsaw.

Dennis, you might actually need one of those mill saws instead to cut blanks to feed your monster.
    Oh, and get some BIG tools!
    BTW, how many HP is that thing rated? Where do you get replacement belts? rom the Mack Truck parts store?

It is 3hp and has 16 speeds. There are many places on the net that sell belts. But this one is in really good condition and really does not experience that hard of a load.

In case anyone out there is jealous and wants one of these for their own, I found one close to denver not as shiney but god what a monster.
    Would be a great pen turners lathe dont you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Okay, then. At 3 hp, it isn't overbearingly huge. And good info (I guess) on not using the a VFD with an old 3 ph motor.
    This is the same setup I have (although Hitachi VFD), but I still retained the gearing. With 30" of swing, the speed differences can be HUGE. I would recommend keeping the 4 speeds to keep the torque. If you do some really large pieces, you might even consider lower gearing.

Mine (not an Oliver) is pieces for transport to the new shop. When I put it back together it will be with 2 step gearing for a wider range.

From all the research I've done, it seems that the rotary phase converter is not much of an advantage, over a VFD, for only one tool. If you have multiple 3 ph machines, then it makes sense. I've also found (at least in my area) that the 3ph machines sell for a serious discount. Enough to pay for RPC - which is how i'll be setting up the new shop.

Great machine you've got!

No cars allowed in that shop anymore! Tell the wife her new parking spot is on the street. LOL

That lathe is AWESOME. I thought my Nichols was big. Following this thread with great interest!
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

I've heard from many motor people that the VFD can distroy an old AC motor because the power spikes are high coming out of a VFD and the dialectic coating on the windings can not protect against the spikes like a modern AC motor can.

Yep, I have a shop now, not a garage.

Here is the birth certificate for my lathe. In current dollars, it sold for $25,000.00