Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new lathe is home!

Do the lights dim in th house, the whole block, or just the entire neighborhood? Enjoy and post it in action.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I have looked at that picture in amazement a half dozen times. Will probably look a half dozen more. My first thought was "what a perfect spot". You can back the logging truck right up to the door.

Baxter, you nailed it. I thought the exact same thing! What a great way to get the wood right up to the lathe! Unless, of course, your driveway is really steep right outside that door...

Ok, it is big. For that, I think we pretty much all bow. How is its accuracy? And what is the hp? I take it that it is 3 ph. Are you going to/have you already gotten a VFD for it? That will be a great way to convert your power, but also give you speed control. AND in your case, more importantly, torque control. I mean, 3 hp motors (the ones on all the "big" lathes we mortals turn on) have a LOT of torque. I'm guessing that is somewhere in the 7.5-10 hp. Having it on the fastest speed, but using a potentiometer through a VFD to bring your speeds way down will also help keep your torque to a minimum. HA! Your "minimum" will likely still be at the top of our maximums, but at least it will help.

Congrats. Thanks for posting pics. Looking forward to seeing some chips (and the parts you save...).
    I drink, therefore I am.

Ditto what Baxter said. Wow that is one big hunk of lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow!!! That is awesome!

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

No, the lights don't dim which surprised me. And yes, when I open the garage door, I can just drag something over from the wood pile. Also, in nice weather, I can look out while turning.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

You have me eying up a way to turn outboard.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Check those threads I bet they are 1 7/8"x 6. Most Olivers have 6 threads per inch and not 4.

I will check them. I was going by the documentation, but I though 4 tpi was too few and not standard.

You will sure be able to turn some nice sphere's, will not even have to make a jig!
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    I will check them. I was going by the documentation, but I though 4 tpi was too few and not standard.
    My Oliver #66 is 6 threads per inch and I had some adapters made to run some modern chucks. Sold a few of the extra ones to other folks that had Oliver 20's. Great machine and I am sure you will be happy with it.

I would love to see a #66 some day. Those look awesome Were your adapters female on the spindle side then male on the chuck side? That is the only way I can figure out how to do it.

Hi Mike. It is a very accurate late. When I bring the tailstock live center up to the headstock drive center, they are perfectly aligned. You could not get any closer. It is a 3hp with 4 pulley sizes and a 4 speed transmission. I talked to a number of people about the VFD and all of them said not to use in on an old motor. The dielectric coating on the windings is not thick enough for the spikky VRD. So I have to change gears manually.....good exercise right?

I have to take back the rotary phase converter and get a 5hp one as the 3hp won't start the lathe in the higher gears.

Okay, then. At 3 hp, it isn't overbearingly huge. And good info (I guess) on not using the a VFD with an old 3 ph motor. If it is a bad idea, don't do it! Again, my suggestion for using the VFD was that I was assuming that you had a huge motor on there. You'll likely be fine without it, and just using the belts and transmission. My guess is that you might settle into one belt speed and keep it there 95% of the time...

You know, you could always change out the motor with a new(er) 3 hp motor and VFD. My local motor shop sells used Baldor 2 and 3 hp three phase motors for $100 each. A TECO FM50 VFD for 3 hp is about $200. So, for $300 you could have a new(er) motor and VFD. Not sure what the cost of your 5hp rotary phase converter is going to cost, but it is something to think about... If you go the VFD route, you will likely want a potentiometer, fwd/rev switch (the VFD will allow you to do that... not sure if you have that now or not), and maybe an emergency stop button. All those with a box to put them in might run about another $100. Just food for thought...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Dennis, yes the adapters were female to go on the lathe spindle and then male for new chuck. I have some made to 1 1/4"x8 and 1 1/2" x8. I did get a large (14") four jaw chuck with my lathe but it is a metalworking chuck so not very handy for wood.

As for the VFD my lathe had a 4 speed general electric motor with a HUGE drum switch to change speeds plus the 4 step pulley. Never could get the original motor to change speeds without tripping breakers. I changed my lathe over to a 7 1/2hp newer motor driven by a 10hp VFD. Seems to work ok. I have had mine for 4 years or so but never take time to turn. Need to spend more time on it. See all the great work done by people on this forum inspires me but seems there is always some other flat work job that needs to be done.