Thread: G1066 Drum Sander

G1066 Drum Sander

I just found a drum sander on Craigslist, G1066 24", got it, set it up in shop and want to dial down the belt. What do I need "exactly" to make this happen? I do remember seeing this done elsewhere but forgot where. I know Granger might have the parts I need, but no help there. BTW only single 4" dust port on this one, dead center on top, never seen just one on this machine before. Should I add another? Thought about adding a piece of EPDM rubber about 6" to each side of input output to help w/ the dust cloud, have a 2 hp 1400 cfm on it. This is a nice machine BTW

Hello Lundy,
    What exactly do you mean by *dial down the belt*? Do you mean adding a dial indicator for micro-adjustment of your sanding thickness?

I never bothered with micro-measuring. Remember that the conveyor belt has some give to it. The threaded posts of the G1066 are 1/16" thread, soooooooo, a half turn of the handle equals 1/32"; a quarter turn of the handle equals depth adjustment of 1/64"; eighth of a turn equals 1/128" that is plenty fine for me. I will qualify that by reminding that there is backlash in the threads if the table is lowered, then raised again. If you start with very small fractional increments, and proceed to increase gradually, the final thickness will be reached, eventually. Hint: I covered both drums with the same grit paper for *double sanding.* I found that coarse/fine sanding in one pass was NOT all that!

As for the dust port, add one on either side of the centered port. The G1066 needs all the help it can get. Interior baffles would certainly help to channel dust toward the ports.....like the Woodmaster has. It acts like a vacuum cleaner nozzle.

~~Chip~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Your collector won't handle three ports so if the one doesn't do it you either need to block it off and add two or put one on one side and see how it works. Dave