Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Problems -- Solved

Sharpening Problems -- Solved

I was having problems with sharpening, especially my planes. I remembered that one of our Central Jersey Woodworker Association meetings featured our own Wilbur Pan demonstrating his sharpening techiques and how his results were excellent. So I called Wilbur and he graciously had me come over and we figured out the issues.

It was a combination of factors and his last suggestion, to keep my stropping board close at hand was a deal maker and time saver. It's no longer a pain to do my sharpening.

I must say that I went home, sharpened up most of my other planes and went on a flattening and smoothing frenzy. It was more fun than I can remember having with my hand tools in a l-o-n-g time.

Previously, I watched the Schwarz and TFWW videos (as well as many others). However, the patience shown me by Wilbur and the expertise he has were a real difference maker.

If you get a chance to see Wilbur in action or read any of his articles, it is time well spent. I don't know anyone that knows more about sharpening or how to make sharpening easy than Wilbur Pan.

-- Steve.

Well kudos on Wilbur for helping you out, and congrats on it clicking.

When I finally realized what "sharp" really was, it was an epiphany. Planes actually worked, and with so much less effort. Once you know what it is, you know when you're missing the mark, and once you start to learn to tell what's going wrong, you can really hone in on the issues. The biggest one for me was not being precise in my angles, and wasting time polishing metal that was just a hair behind the cutting edge. Now I catch that mistake almost immediately.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Glad to hear you've got it down. There is something about one-on-one that cannot be duplicated by a book or a video. What a good feeling success like that brings.

Blog Entries
    Glad you had some help to get you going on this.

There is something about one-on-one that cannot be duplicated by a book or a video.
    That is why I always try to encourage new folks to include their whereabouts in their profile.

When someone comes by my shop to learn, my knowledge also gains.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herbin View Post
    I was having problems with sharpening, especially my planes. I remembered that one of our Central Jersey Woodworker Association meetings featured our own Wilbur Pan demonstrating his sharpening techiques and how his results were excellent. So I called Wilbur and he graciously had me come over and we figured out the issues.

It was a combination of factors and his last suggestion, to keep my stropping board close at hand was a deal maker and time saver. It's no longer a pain to do my sharpening.

I must say that I went home, sharpened up most of my other planes and went on a flattening and smoothing frenzy. It was more fun than I can remember having with my hand tools in a l-o-n-g time.

Previously, I watched the Schwarz and TFWW videos (as well as many others). However, the patience shown me by Wilbur and the expertise he has were a real difference maker.

If you get a chance to see Wilbur in action or read any of his articles, it is time well spent. I don't know anyone that knows more about sharpening or how to make sharpening easy than Wilbur Pan.

-- Steve.
    It's an area that is easy to over think and KISS absolutely applies.

Sometimes you need someone to show you. Videos and books are great but hands on is 100 percent better if you can.
    Don

Thanks, Steve! That's really kind of you to say, and I'm glad you have things going with your planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    It's an area that is easy to over think and KISS absolutely applies.
    Full disclosure: I've certainly done my share of overthinking about sharpening. It does not follow, however, that overthinking precludes the ability to have a simple system for sharpening, and I would argue that the overthinking helped me understand what is going on with sharpening in the long run.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    Full disclosure: I've certainly done my share of overthinking about sharpening. It does not follow, however, that overthinking precludes the ability to have a simple system for sharpening, and I would argue that the overthinking helped me understand what is going on with sharpening in the long run.

http://www.richardjonesfurniture.com/Articles/lesson-in-sharpen/lesson-in-sharpening.html
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 03-19-2013 at 7:29 AM.

That's always a good read.

The only differences between what Richard Jones wrote and what I did with Steven are:

1. Using a grinder to get started.

2. Waterstones, not oilstones, mainly because that's what I use. I always make a point of saying that the choice of sharpening media doesn't prevent you from getting a sharp edge.

3. Used a magnifying glass to look at the edge to help show what the line of light is like, and what is really happening at the edge.

4. A lot less use of the term "completely daft stupit wee bastit".
    Last edited by Wilbur Pan; 03-19-2013 at 2:00 PM.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    That's always a good read.

The only differences between what Richard Jones wrote and what I did with Steven are:

1. Using a grinder to get started.

2. Waterstones, not oilstones, mainly because that's what I use. I always make a point of saying that the choice of sharpening media doesn't prevent you from getting a sharp edge.

3. Used a magnifying glass to look at the edge to help show what the line of light is like, and what is really happening at the edge.

4. A lot less use of the term"completely daft stupit wee bastit".
    I've always felt that waterstones are inherently more persnickety and, therefore, right off the reel are a less simple solution.

A new user will have more success with waterstones, and an experienced user who is honest, unless they are using something from 20 years ago, will find the same to be true.

I love the natural stones, but they've been lapped...and not in the right way.

Blog Entries
    After not having much luck with oil stones for many years my sharpening attempts improved greatly with water stones. Once the basics of what sharp is were learned, my use of oil stones also improved.

If it were my task to teach someone about sharpening, it would start with water stones to avoid the student falling into frustration.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    A new user will have more success with waterstones, and an experienced user who is honest, unless they are using something from 20 years ago, will find the same to be true.

I love the natural stones, but they've been lapped...and not in the right way.
    I agree. I love love love my arkys, but always go back to my waterstones for planes and chisels. They simply surpass my oil stones in almost every way. I tried to force myself not to use anything but my oil stones for the duration of one project. Obviously they got the job done, but I made it about halfway through my project before going back to me my usual pair of waterstones. I just haven't found anything quicker or more effective than a good pair of ceramic waterstones.

I also agree that waterstones are easier to learn to use. There are more subtleties to getting a good edge off of oil stones.

Again, that's not to say I don't like oil stones...I love them. But when it comes down to brass tacks, I have always found my waterstones to be superior.

My oils stones currently live in my kitchen and are used almost exclusively to hone my knives and touch up my straight razor (both of which they do a fantastic job at)

Of course, that's just my personal experience, as always YMMV.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

15. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    After not having much luck with oil stones for many years my sharpening attempts improved greatly with water stones. Once the basics of what sharp is were learned, my use of oil stones also improved.

If it were my task to teach someone about sharpening, it would start with water stones to avoid the student falling into frustration.

jtk
    Surely the assumption must be the only things this hypothetical individual has to hone are chisels and plane irons.

Would you turn a beginner loose on your best waterstone with a router plane cutter? Spokeshave iron? Quarter inch plough cutter? How about a turning skew? How about a 2mm veiner? Hard to smile and offer encouragement when they dig right down the pipeline of your most precious waterstone. Oops.

I guess we can cross our fingers and hope a beginner never needs to plough a groove or refine the bottom of a dado.
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 03-19-2013 at 1:40 PM.