Thread: Kerosene anyone ?

Kerosene anyone ?

My success with diamond sharpening, honing etc. using water as a lubricant has been very minimal. Actually to the point of discarding and going back to the natural and carborundum type stones. After purchasing several diamond sharpeners over the past few years and thinking they were used up, I decided to buy just one more. At the website a lubricant was offered for about $10.00 per ounce. Hmmmm, must be good stuff. Then I remembered that Kerosene is used to soak the natural stones which dislodges the metal grit residue from sharpening and cleans them.

WOW !! I tried it on a couple of my old sharperners and they weren't worn out at all just clogged up. A small drop of Kerosene works wonders. Commonly used as fuel in space heaters it is also very inexpensive and readily available, WalMart, Lowe's etc.

If you have other suggestions or comments, I would like to hear from you. Thanks and Happy Turning.

how do the price of coal oil at Lowe's or Wal-mart compare to your corner gas station

Before I switched to water stones for my sharpening I tried kerosene but really didn't like the smell. I found that lamp oil that is sold in craft and other stores (maybe even the big box stores) doesn't have much smell at all and is quite cheap. It's sold in quart sized containers that should last you a lifetime. In addition it comes in a variety of colors!

Cheers,
    David

May have to go hit the wife's lamp oil supply for a small bottle full.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I discovered by accident that Marvel's Mystery oil works really well for me. It can be found at the auto parts store and I don't remember it being too expensive. There is little to no smell with it.

WD-40 has worked for me.

I've used turpentine in the past and dabbled with engineering cutting fluid.

I've decided any light oil will work after I've seen a professional knife-maker uses baby oil on his stones.

I've also used WD-40 for years because of both ease of clean-up and aroma.

I am another advocate of WD-40.

I have been told that you shouldn't use oil on Diamond sharpeners only water, guess that must have been wrong. Going to clean-up my diamond plates thats probably all they need. I use a cbn wheel for my turning tools.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

+on WD-40, I find that using WD-40 to wet sand Acrylic pen blanks works very well.

I also use WD40.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.