Thread: Question on Wood Movement

Question on Wood Movement

Just finished building a file cabinet. Top is 4 boards edge glued together about 18" wide & 26" deep, grains runs the 18" way. Assembled the cabinet with pocket screws. If I attach the top with pocket screws will it split as the wood moves during the changing seasons? Final home is Maryland.

Thanks for any help,

From experience I can tell you that it will split in about a year. Sometimes you can get away with up to 12 inches of width. I'd make the top with an overhang and then make it kind of float on top of the cabinet. Look at how table tops are attached to a table.

Fix the front with your pocket screws, as usual.

Drill the rear mounting screw pocket and elongate the hole to allow the screw to "pivot" with the seasons.
    That might allow enough play to keep the stop from splitting.

I would recommend a table mounting clip, which requires milling a slot in the side panel.
    These screw into the top panel, and have sufficient holding power to keep the top down.

Thanks guys, you confirmed my suspicions. I will look for some table mounting clips.

You have good advise there Steve, especially since the grain is running the 18 inches. Wood does not move its' length but by its' width (across the grain, not with it) so depending on the type of wood, you will have some serious movement.